best way to learn a DSLR (Nikon D3100)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eggtastic, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Eggtastic macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

title says it all. got the best buy deal back in december. (did not get the zoom lens, big mistake but i can always buy it later).

anyway, anyone recommend any books, youtube videos, websites, etc? I am just starting out, i would like to expand my knowledge and eventually be able to learn a photo edit software (aperture?).

2. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

3. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

4. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think the best way is to not be camera specific from the start. Learn about the 3 components of exposure and then learn about composition.

Try Lynda Learning for some video training on this.

5. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

Check out books on Amazon.com that get you started in the technical basics like aperture, shutter speed, their relation and how to expose an image so you get the best image quality on a digital camera.

6. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Might also wanna check out your area and see if there are any workshops or anything like that available. Some do cost money and some are free so it's up to you on which one to take. It's a great way to get some direction (from the instructor) as well as play with your new toy. Reading up is pretty good however it's best if you just get out there and start playing with your camera and see what all the different settings do.

7. Sirolway macrumors 6502

8. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Excellent book. You could do a lot worse than to start with that one. I agree with fitshaced that your first move ought to be learning the fundamentals of exposure: how the variables of shutter speed, aperture, and ISO can be combined for different results. That book does a terrific job of explaining and illustrating these fundamentals.

9. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

A great BIG yes to getting Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. He does a great job in simplifying things. Just get it and read it, it'll make a huge difference, IMO.

10. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

A lot depends on how you learn best. Nikon does what's reported to be a good 1 or 2 day course around the US. Many community colleges offer good photography courses, and camera shops will often have a course or two. Book-wise, I'd suggest going to your local library and checking out the photography section.

Paul

11. Eggtastic thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eggtastic

thank you for your replies. i will take all into consideration. as for the "just mess around" aspect, i totally agree but i have done that already and am ready to make the next move lol.

thanks again.

12. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

Check out Jared Polin on youtube. He has some photo tips