Best way to learn HTML ?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by fab5freddy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. fab5freddy macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

I would like to learn HTML.

What is the best way to do so in a short period of time.
    I already know some stuff, but would want to start over and start from 101.

I would prefer online videos to thick books about it....

Are there any exercies, that are especially helpful ?

thanks! F

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Aside from videos and books, the very best way is to continue to read forums like this and examine actual HTML code. I suggest you setup a localhost development platform (on Mac you can download and install MAMP or manually setup a LAMP using Mac's built in Apache if you know how) and view source of web pages that interest you and start trying to figure it out.

For the basics, I advise the following:

W3Schools HTML tutorial for novices (awesome)
    40 minute You Tube HTML Video (it's free)

Most of the better videos are from online learning centers that charge fees, of course.

-jim

3. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I saw on there "free sample training" which tells me the complete training and tutorials are subscription based. Sorry, I went to school for that plus I have access to online courses as part of the government's E-Learning initiative as part of my employment. Might want to see what kind of tuition reimbursement is available to save you some money if you opt to subscribe. Contact your HR about that.

If you're not working or none of that is available and you're more of a hobbyist, consider the links I and others provide here, save your money and start using Google to find resources and learn how people do things.

HTML isn't hard to learn, it's when databases and server side languages get involved that require a little more formal training (if possible) at least some extra time set aside to learn the basics about, say, PHP and MySQL. And W3CShools is a great web site for learning both from a novice perspective.

-jim

5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Here are the steps that I'd take:

1. Read the very basics. Any website will do. You should only spend out 30 minutes on this.

2. Start coding. When you need help, google it or somethings. This step could takes months.

3. After you have a good foundation, turn to the books and videos. They are great to learn good practices, standards, and advanced techniques.

That's it. Videos, books, etc are nice are nice once you have the basics down, but you really need to start programing first before you start utilize them. The only real way to learn is to program, program, program.

6. ajcfreak macrumors newbie

ajcfreak

Basics first

I agree with the fact that basics need to be penned down, before we can move forward.

I dabbled around in the basics of HTML coding ages ago. Then, last year, I started getting slightly deeper... I'm no hardcore coder, but I take pride in analyzing other websites' coding and then implementing what I like, in my own website.

I found the following useful:

http://www.w3schools.com/ - a great place to brush up on basics

http://cooltext.com/ - a place to create simple buttons and logos

http://www.iconbuffet.com - I analysed the code of this site to come up with the code of my current website

Finally, if you're stuck with something, simply Googling for it would help. I found out two important things that way - how to open links in a new window (without getting blacklisted on search engines) and how to round off the corners of my site's design.

Happy designing!

7. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

from my experience in learning anything graphic design, especially web design. Its hard to learn something just to learn it. sit down think of a site you want to build for yourself, be as creative as you want. Dont be afraid to add something you dont know how to do or something you think cant be done. When you get to that task on your site, you will figure out a way to get it done. Use the sites people on here gave you as reference. Necessity is the best way to learn. There have been many times where my boss told me we needed a certain thing on a site and asked if I knew how to do it, of course I said yes. Then I had to figure out how to get it done and I did.

8. fab5freddy thread starter macrumors 65816

fab5freddy

great, thanks jdi8422,

i think your approach is the best way.

i'll try that!

9. jdl8422 macrumors 6502

jdl8422

send me over an email if you need anything, Im happy to help

10. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey