Best way to learn Photoshop... Book?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rxl125, Aug 3, 2007.

1. rxl125 macrumors regular

Most computer things I have learned, I have learned by doing and fooling around. With a new baby and work, I don't have the time to really fool around with Photoshop to really learn it. I know the basics, crop, correct basic photo elements, etc.

This forum suggested the book "understanding exposure" for learning digital photography, and it has worked wonders for me in a short amount of time. Does anyone have any book or web site suggestions for Photoshop (CS3). I ask this after returning from an art gallery of photos tonite:) This best thing I have done so far is make the background black and white and have one thing color in the foreground.

2. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

It would take longer with a book, just use it and see what you can do with the program is my advice, that's how I learnt, no book.

With Illustrator I needed a book (and a uni lecturer)!

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you want to know how to use Photoshop specifically for correcting digital photographs then Scott Kelby's Photoshop for digitial photographers is pretty good. It'll talk you through things like changing the lighting etc.

There are also a few good tutorial sites online that talk you through a variety of problem fixing ideas.

The Kelby book isn't so great at explaining why things like masks and filters work though. For that, something like the Photoshop in a Classroom book might be better although it's far, far drier.

4. Mark Scheuern macrumors member

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

my all time fav is photoshop studio techniques by ben willmore

definitely get a book of some sort as ps is a HUGE program with all sorts of cool stuff you may never find/understand on your own

6. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

YouTube can sometimes be a helpful resource. I've watched instructional videos for Photoshop on there. Just type in the search what kind of technique or effect you want to learn and you should pull up something. Videos like that and trial and error worked well for me. Just my suggestion :eek:

7. 66217 Guest

I've heard and read about www.lynda.com, but I am not yet sure if it is worth it.

It has an annual cost of $200, or monthly of $20. The good thing is that you get to have acces to almost any program available in the world.

It has all the Adobe products, all the Apple products, and a lot more. Has anyone here used this servie? Is it worth $200?

8. jstephen macrumors newbie

Another great set of book is from Scott Kelby
    He has the Photoshop CS2 for Digital Photographers http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321501918/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/105-8858400-6365201?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187279924&sr=8-2
    and also
    Lightroom For Digital Photographers. http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Lightroom-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321492161/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/105-8858400-6365201?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187279924&sr=8-5

Both of these are great!

jstephen
    http://www.champcarracingupdate.com/

9. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

I personally like fiddling around with it first. If there's a specific task I want to accomplish (ie. manual HDR, faux IR), I google it and follow the instructions there.

10. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

I have a reasonable skillset gained through years of playing around with the program. I did find the 'you suck at photoshop' series of youtube tutorials genuinely useful however.

11. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I consider this the Bible of Photoshop books.

12. sl1200mk2 macrumors 6502

You don't IMHO need a year subscription unless you have very, very limited time. You should be able to pick up the basics through moderate techniques in two months of "casual" viewing (3-4 hours a week). I did two months and it was plenty to get me well on my way. I really enjoyed the various Chris Orwig tutorials. Not so much for him (voice is actually a little annoying to me -- very California), but he gets into it pretty quick and the lessons are good, he obviously knows his stuff.

I also like Scott Kelby a lot and have some of his training on DVD from a friend. I would recommend him as well, but between a solid PS book as reference and two months of Lynda.com I can do just about everything I need to do. YMMV.

Good luck -

13. pprior macrumors 65816

Big fan of lynda.com here - I'm just not a book person (have lots just collecting dust - gave up on them). It's a bit expensive, but sitting down and going through a couple hours of their tuturials and I learned a LOT more than days reading books.

14. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Adobe Photoshop "Classroom in Book"

"the official training workbook from Adobe systems" ... they also have them for Illustrator, InDesign etc. ... these books are a good way to get a grasp of the software, then practice ... they also come with lessons on discs.

You can find them quite reasonable on Amazon. :cool:

15. IceCold29 macrumors newbie

I know you said that you have CS3 but there is a leason on iTunesU titled Photoshop CS5. It's not bad and is geared towards the beginner. Best of all, it is FREE.:cool:

Edit: Ok. I just noticed that this post started back in 2007...no wonder he is using CS3. The iTunesU thing is still worth checking out for those looking to learn.

16. tmagman macrumors 6502

Just got this book for Christmas and it is fantastic. Really fantastic walk throughs for a beginner or someone who already knows their way around photoshop. Comes with a disc with all of the files that they use so you can actually do exactly what they are doing. Classroom in a book gets my vote!

17. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

Another vote for Scott kelby. Especially if your a jump in and have a go type.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Lynda.com is excellent. If you just want photoshop its probably better to pay by month since you can cancel at any time.

19. a.jfred macrumors 6502

I use CS4, and have the "For Dummies" book, as a handy reference. I upgraded from PS7, so it was like going from riding a tricycle to driving a motorcycle with no in-between.

20. Joem48 macrumors newbie

21. VirtualRain, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

EDIT: Just realized this is a 9 month old thread resurrection after a previous 3 year resurrection. :eek: :confused:

22. wilhelmreems macrumors member

i, for one, hope the OP was able to learn what he wanted to in the 3 years since his post.

23. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

hahaha I was wondering why they were learning CS3. :D

24. radiomother macrumors newbie

I like Deke McClelland's CS5 One on One but it's a long hard slog to learn the program.

25. egis macrumors member

Best way to learn Photoshop CS5 -- Photoshop CS6

I find this thread to be really informative, thanks go out to all the contributors as well as the OP. I have PS/CS5 on board my IMac 27" i7, but I hardly take advantage of its power mostly because it is such an intimidating application, and the few learning texts I do have are less than ideal.

I rely mostly on Aperture 3 and NIK's suite, which does me fine in most cases. However, while Adobe has released LR4 and a surprising BETA for PS6, Apple has said nothing and released nothing about its long in the tooth Aperture app. There is no lack of frustration as evidenced on other Digitial Photography MacRumor Forum threads, and I, along with others are starting to think about abandoning Aperture based mostly on our sense of loyalty as priority.

I recently downloaded PS/CS6 Beta to experiment with and to determine if it is any less intimidating than PS5. So far (about 3 hrs of use) I can say it does have a cleaner UI, it does seem to be better organized, and some of the new features are cool!

So, my dilemma - assuming I do leave Aperture, except for its digital image management functions, and move to PS for all post production use, do I follow the consensus of this thread and get one of the many books suggested for PS/CS5 and keep working on PS6 sans documentation and wait for books on CS6 (assuming I do upgrade) to appear, or set should I up an account with lynda - focus on PS5 for the present and as they provide course material, transition to PS/CS6. Right now there is one general course (2.5 hours) listed.

Back in Jan. 2011, this same question was posed which essentially asked: to those of you who have used or are using lynda - have you found that it makes a difference in your working with this application?? How much time might need to be devoted to all parts of the app, not including video.

In these forums there is always room for misinterpretation, so if I am not phrasing or asking the right questions, then please correct me in your reply. Thanks for your thoughts and ideas

LGH