Best way to leave MBP on 24/7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amber, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Amber macrumors regular

I've read you shouldn't do this with a laptop. I put my MBP flat on a table and at night the room is fairly cold. I have it plugged in with a external HD plugged in too.

Am I best taking the battery out? I hardly ever take the laptop with me anywhere right now and when I do I plug it in somewhere. Also, is the adapter safe being plugged in at night? I've seen pictures of them melted etc.

I just don't want my mac to set my house on fire basically.

2. ZenErik macrumors 6502

I leave my MacBook on all night when I'm downloading. Haven't had a problem with the computer feeling too hot in the morning or reading too hot on iStat. But when I'm not DLing, I just let it sleep at night.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Why do you want to leave it on 24/7?

I have read that, at least on the MBs, that the processor scales down without the battery.

I often leave my MB on overnight or very long periods, e.g. 4 days, with no problems.

4. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, when I say 24/7 I mean leaving it on for a few nights and then maybe turning it off. I want to leave it downloading over night and I'll probably give it a break every now and then.

I don't mean leaving it on constantly forever.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

take the battery out
    saves battery frying, and the cpu gets slowed down so will last longer and also not get as hot, and you dont need processing power to download.
    should be fine

6. dimme macrumors 65816

I would not worry about a fire unless it is on a "highly flammable" surface. There should be no need to take out the battery however if you leave it plugged in all the time the battery does not get exercise. It is best for the battery to get discharged and recharged offend. My Macbook is on 24/7 when not in use the lid is closed and it is sleeping. I usually leave it plugged in at night

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you are just downloading then it won't really tax the processor which is the major source of heat so it'll be fine.

As you aren't doing anything taxing then you can take the battery out as you don't need the processor power.

8. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

Does it use a lot of electric to leave it plugged in over night? Cost wise..

9. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

No, next to nothing...

10. Rotary8 macrumors regular

I started a similar thread a month ago. People haven't had any problems leaving the mbp on for days, weeks or even months. Mine has been on for over two weeks with maybe a reboot or two. I leave it on so that I can Remote Desktop into it, and also because I use the mac's isight as a surveillance camera.

oh and another thing, turn your screen off. Helps prolong the life of your screen.