Best way to leave MBP on overnight?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Broph, May 29, 2013.

1. Broph macrumors 6502

Broph

I have my 2011 MBP sitting on my desk, with my wired ethernet connection going into it. From my MBP I share the connection, so my iPad / iPhone can browse the web wirelessly etc.

I like reading online texts from bed on my iPad, and for now, I have been turning the brightness right down on my screen and just letting it sit there (so the wireless signal remains active). So far, it's worked good, but I'm just wondering if I could be doing any potential harm by leaving it on all night, or if there's a better method? I.E. putting it in a state that is less power hungry than just turning off the screen, but still allows it to broadcast the wireless signal?

I've heard of caffeine, insomniaX etc - Would these be better?

Talk about first world problems....

Thanks.

2. makinao macrumors regular

Isn't your (System Preferences > Energy Saver >) Display Sleep on? Set Computer Sleep at "never" and Display Sleep at any shorter duration. That's all you need.

3. Serban Suspended

if you dont want your macbook to sleep...set to never like the post above, and then press "shift+ctrl+eject" and your display will turn off

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Alternatively, you could set a hot corner to turn off the screen. It'd take less time than pressing F1 20 times.

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

Why not get a wireleess router so that your devices can use the internet. Doesn't seem too intelligent to have to turn on your MacBook to do that.

And you would save more energy in the process.

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

That's what I do, too.

In addition: set your preferences so a password is required to bring the screen back. You do NOT want any random passer-by (or thief) to be able to wake your machine and dig into your files. This is especially important while traveling. (My machines all have FileVault 2 turned on, and yours should too.)

It's great to be able to quickly flick my finger to turn my screen to black, leaving my machine locked and secure but still on and still running whatever I was running.

Also: Are you connected directly to your cable or DSL modem? If so, be sure your OS X firewall is turned on. I'm happier when I see a router between computers and the Internet, though. Good old NAT... Also, since your machine is connected via an ethernet cable, you might want to consider a surge suppressor for that cable (as well as for power) if your area is prone to electrical storms.

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

This. If you do this regularly it's a no-brainer. Also let's you get the MBP off the desk and maintain a connection.

8. Broph thread starter macrumors 6502

Broph

I'm a student in student apartments, and the internet set up is slightly weird here - i.e. you need to log into your student account each time you want to connect, and then into your internet account. Long story short, I did attempt to put in a wireless router, but it kept losing connection, so attempted to install dd-wrt on it to try and make the process easier, but think I bricked it. Not too fussed - it was a cheap router anyway.

Also, thanks for all your replies - will look at all suggestions.

9. Siggen macrumors 6502

I want my MBP (2011) to always be available online with Splashtop

So I have my computer never sleep if it has a power cord in it. Display sleep is set to 10 minutes with the power cord.

I also leave it standing upside down like this (mind the wrong computer type in the picture) So It will cool better.
    [​IMG]

10. FlorisVR macrumors newbie

So you're worried about leaving it on all night? Why don't you then just schedule it to turn off at a certain time (System pref > Energy Saver > Schedule)? That way it won't stay on all night.

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

12. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Why in conjunction with? They both serve the same purpose, preventing sleep when the lid is closed.

13. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Just go to system pref and set it so it wont go to sleep.
    After you are done doing so, press control+shift+eject and turn the display off.
    This is how I leave my on for several nights when downloading stuff.