Best way to link to other people's articles

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by torndownunit, Apr 4, 2009.

1. torndownunit macrumors regular

If you see an article you really like online, what is proper ettiquette for using it on your site?

I know I can link to it. But the link may go dead, site may go down or other factors.

Is it considered ok to post the article in it's entirety if you put all the credit information, and a link back to the site it came from?

Thanks guy

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I'm not sure about what's most appropriate, but what I currently do when I want the entire article is to copy the HTML, make it valid (cause it usually sucks) and put a link at the top indicating the original source and keeping any copyright information that was present. It would be nice to just link to it, but as you say, they go dead, then it makes it really hard to re-track down those articles at other sources.

3. MiroMac macrumors member

You can always end the article like this: Via(Website Name)

If they have a problem with it, most will just ask you to take the article down.

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

My golden rules:
    • Copy verbatim
    • Put into quotes
    • Include article author name, source URL and source site name
    How you do the last one up to you, most people just create a simple anchor link and "Source: John Doe, The Washington Post"

To demonstrate the obnoxious disparity in what is true or not about this issue regarding copyright:

If the content has a copyright notice, remember this: "Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something." Source: Copyright.com

But alot of blog sites list this in their FAQs about blog copyright:

"Do use facts and ideas: Copyright Law protects the expression of facts and ideas. That is the form, combination and structure of documents and not the facts themselves. You are free to use facts and ideas reported on articles or websites." Source: DailyBlogTips.com

Aaaaaargh!!!

First off, I trust copyright.com and NOT some blog site. To me, blogs are ideas, and are not subject to copyright enforcement, that's my interpretation of that.

But it is a common courtesy to follow the above procedure in some form or another, credit the blogger and the source site. I also think it shows that you have journalistic integrity, something that alot of bloggers lack, and will increase your readership if you come across as professional even if you aren't and don't have to be. My .02 on that.

-jim

5. torndownunit thread starter macrumors regular