Best Way to lock down and track rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PrestonWard, Aug 9, 2012.

1. PrestonWard macrumors member

Recently my wife's mbp was stoles so we decided to upgrade to the rmbp. I am trying to figure out the best way to lock it down and set it up to give me the best possible chance of being found if it happens to get stolen. So far I have 1. set up find my mac and 2 set a firmware password. Any one have any other suggestions on things to do?

2. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

there is a program calld prey. which you can contact the website if your mac get stolen and they can track the location of the macbook and they take pictures of the perp who took your macbook.

http://preyproject.com/

may i ask how your wife's macbook was stolen? im just curious because i just got my first macbook and i always worry about it getting stolen.

3. PrestonWard thread starter macrumors member

Our apartment was broken into. Unfortunately she never set up find my mac on it but everything was covered by insurance. I will definitely check out prey.

4. Jamesesesesess macrumors 6502a

Sorry that your apartment was broken into, I can't imagine experiencing that :( at least insurance covered it.

Yeah as nia820 suggested, get Prey. If you really want to be secure, buy Prey Pro Personal. It's only $5 a month and supports up to 3 devices (if you guys have iPhones, Android phones, iPads, other laptops, etc.). You can check Pro out here http://preyproject.com/plans. It may or may not be worth it to you. I personally wouldn't upgrade to Pro.

You can also check out LoJack. It's a little pricey, but probably gives more security. They have an actual team who would work to locate it if stolen. http://www.absolute.com/lojackforlaptops.

5. Thors.Hammer macrumors member

Are any of you actually using Prey? Looks interesting.

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I've used it before - very good app. :cool:

7. Rockoar macrumors regular

Rockoar

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Undercover is great. The difference between it and Prey Project - dedicated, professional support, is worth 5x the price if your Mac actually gets stolen.

9. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I have another app called hidden installed, but undercover looks pretty good too. What I wonder though is that these apps have no way to protect them from booting in to my windows partition?

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Put a password on your Windows accounts...?

11. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

Yeah i do, but hidden takes pictures when you start up the machine, but that doesn't happen on windows.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not noticed any mention of FileVault2 full disk encryption in the thread. Good idea to protect your data if the machine does get stolen.