Best way to maintain a stamp collection?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 50548, Oct 20, 2012.

1. 50548 Guest

I have amassed, since childhood, a considerable collection of stamps from all over the world, and am now considering a software solution to maintain/update it with all relevant philatelic information.

What is the best way to do it? I've thought of Bento, but I am not sure whether it would be powerful enough. Are there any specific philatelic packages for Mac out there?

Likewise for my large CD collection: is Delicious Library the best alternative in this case? Thanks!

2. 50548 thread starter Guest

Isn't there anyone who can help me with this?

3. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Maybe this is overkill, but.....

I long ago made a catalog for a friend with some 1500 stamps or so. I put 20 stamps in a special plastic binder, locating one by one in a little space. Scanned every binder. Storage the pictures as JPGs and manage it througt iPhoto. Later we moved the library to Aperture, because my friend got a better computer. Maybe I dont understand you want to achieve, and if so, bear me with my solution.

Again, sorry if my post is crazyness:( :):apple:

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

But in second tought.....

If you want to develop a database with data/images or only data or images, you can do nicely with FileMaker Pro, the elder sibling of Bento (Bento is like a spinoff):):apple:

5. seniorgeek macrumors member

These are Windows programs but Microsoft Access would work and also the free SQl Compact Edition database from Microsoft. I run them on my iMac with VM Ware and Windows 7.

6. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

7. Dock Status macrumors regular

Fire

Burn all the stamps in one sitting. Place the remains in a jar. Label the jar with a sticker called "stamps". Take a picture of the jar and email it to yourself. Can't think of an easier way to manage your collection.

8. 50548 thread starter Guest

I thought of downvoting you but there is no such button available...so I am laughing instead :D

----------

Thank you to all for the advice; perhaps I should consider Bento, then..!