Best way to maintain rMBP battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetgirl85, Jul 2, 2014.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have read so many conflicting articles and am confused. At the moment I use it unplugged and let it discharge to about 20-30% a day then let it fully charge to 100%. Is this ok?

2. bkends35 macrumors 6502a

bkends35

You're doing it fine. It doesn't really matter that much as long as you let is discharge every week or so. Keeping it plugged in 100% of the time is the worst for it. According to my iStat widget, I have 524 cycles and I'm at 93% health. Not to bad, I've have it for about 19 months.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Thank you! Ive done 7 cycles so far (I've had it a week)

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

My opinion is you don't require to let it fully discharge and then fully charge (charge cycle) every week. I would say once every 1-2 months is fine. This is 'recalibrating' the battery.

See https://www.apple.com/batteries/
    Exercise Your Machine
    ...If you don’t use your device often, be sure to complete a charge cycle at least once a month.

Just use it normally and don't let it fully discharge and die every day. Example, use until half charge and then charge until you need to use it again (don't have to charge to 100%).

And keeping it on the charger for a while to use at a desk is fine. Just make sure to exercise your battery, as per the apple link above.

TLDR: Just use it and don't worry. And read the quote above.

5. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I’ll also mention, if you ever need to store your computer for more than a few days, you should leave it at 50% charge.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Run your computer off its battery when you need to, leave it plugged in when you can.

Running the battery down and charging it every day is just adding extra cycles to the battery and isn't necessary unless you're unable to leave it plugged in.

As others have suggested, you really only need to complete one charge cycle every month or so.

7. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Ultimately - just use it as and when you need it. It's designed to hold 80% of it's charge for 1000 cycles - it's not a device that needs to be pampered. If, at any time during your AppleCare coverage, it drops below 80% whilst at less than 1000 cycles, Apple will normally replace the battery for you (within reason - e.g. 79% at 950 cycles probably won't be covered, but 70% at 500 would be).

That is, you could easily use a full charge every day for 3 years, without worrying about when you're charging it, and should still get >6 hours battery life.

8. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

Yea 9 days for me and 6 cycles.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just use it, and not worry about the battery. I do pull it off the a/c about once a month, but I don't do that religiously. So far my 2 year old rMBP is doing fine.

10. jkundi macrumors member

I'm on 27 cycles and owned my late 2013 mac book pro 15" for 2 months now. I do try and look after the battery which is on 99% health. I just hope this mac book pro lasts for couple of years! :D