Best way to make my Mac faster?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by conch575, Jun 20, 2009.

1. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I have a white Macbook which I purchased in March last year. It's still fast, but not as fast as it used to be, especially when I boot it up. How could I make it run faster and free up some drive space?

Specs:
    Version: 10.5.7
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Memory: 2 GB

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Repair Disk Permissions I think... clear any unnecessary crap from your hard drive... (use Disk Inventory X to look up what crap you have).... Make sure your login items aren't cluttered with things you don't use or don't even know exist... Good luck!

3. OCSpersonel macrumors regular

by login items your refering to his desktop? because i was so used to putting everything on my desktop in windows that i did it when i switched to mac. But as i learned, it slows it down, especially during boot up, so try that. i only have about 4 icons now, three of them folders.

also, im sure you have already done this, uninstall and apps you dont need.

and if you use safari, clear the cache every so often, speeds it up

and ya, repairing disk permitions helped me.

also, im not sure how safe this is, might wana ask around. but if you use time machine, if its backed up, get rid of things that your most likely not gona need. just cluttering files orr temp files. there always on the time machine if you need em. but be careful if your drive fails:(

4. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

A good app to use is Monolingual It will save Gigs worth of HD space removing unnecessary keyboard layouts, languages you don't use and certian tid bits not necessary for your specific architecture mine sped up pretty good after I got rid of a few languages I don't use Chinese or Russian so why do I need those languages in any of the apps I use. You just have to be really careful about what you let it delete sometimes.

5. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Clearing hard drive space isn't going to help unless your drive is actually getting full. Less than 10 or 15% free may cause you problems. Other than that, forget about it being a disk issue.

And I can also tell you that repairing permissions will have zero effect on speed except in the rarest of circumstances.

Activity Monitor is going to be your best bet to find if anything is eating unnecessary CPU cycles or memory. Sort by CPU usage first and watch for things acting strangely. The check memory usage if nothing is strange in the CPU area.

Also, look in system prefs under the Accounts section, then click on Login Items and see if you can get rid of anything there.

It would be unusual, but I've heard of people needing to reseat a stick of RAM, so just to be safe, check under About This Mac and make sure it says 2GB.

Mac OS X is not Windows - you should not be having gradual performance dropoffs, culminating in a reinstall of the OS (like I used to do about every 6 months on XP).

If your slowdown is actual and not just in your own mind, there is a reason for it and Activity Monitor is the place to start.

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Stupid me - the first thing I should have mentioned was adding memory. Your Macbook can probably support at least 4GB and maybe 6GB of memory. That's the first place to start in making your computer run faster.

4GB for $50 from Data Memory Systems, where I buy RAM.

7. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

A 7200 rpm drive helps quite a bit too.

8. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I hate XP all my family uses it (I have never owned a windows computer) they come to me for tech support and like you said "every 6 months" on average I wind up doing a reinstall that OS is like a pain of glass it breaks very easily when you don't know what the hell you're doing on it. I am getting sick of having to manually remove stubborn viruses that Onecare cant get or sit for hours in front of the damn things to reinstall I am an ARTIST FOR ****S SAKE!!! Sorry about that you triggered a nerve impulse LOL

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Run disk utility to verify / repair the disk permissions. Run onyx to which does all the OS X maintenance scripts other bits and pieces

I used Monolingual to remove unnecessary things, also i had it strip the ppc software out of the universal apps. That gave me about 2 GB back.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

All these suggestions have already been suggested above and none is likely to help enough to mention.

11. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Go into accounts under preferences and see about login (what we called in the windows world Terminate and Stay Resident) programs. Resetting the PRAM may help, too.

13. Vikinguy macrumors 6502

My dad's 3 year old macbook was running super-slow and I suggest repairing permissions...he said it was like night and day. For what its worth...

14. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

That shouldn't have caused the change in boot times. If it were slow from the start maybe, but in this case I doubt it.

15. stevefox42 macrumors newbie

A recent upgrade to a 7200 rpm drive made a HUGE difference on my old white core duo macbook.

16. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

I was referring to general machine speed, it would not effect boot times.

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

IMO, even then, on a 2.4ghz C2D it shouldn't make a difference.

18. Anomalus macrumors newbie

Anomalus

Use Clean My Mac.:apple:

That is, if you don't mind spending a bit of money.

It really helps, you can get the trial for it here:

http://macpaw.com/cleanmymac?campai...all&utm_content=static&utm_campaign=MacRumors

and see how you like it.

It basically deletes all the junk you will never need such as Caches, Logs and stuff like that that would be otherwise nearly impossible to find and wholesomely delete.

It helped me a lot. Deleted about 10 gigs in total and i have it since its release. :D

19. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

adding 4GB of RAM is a start...

Also, check your Activity Monitor and and iStat Pro to see if there is anything unusual.

CrackBookPro:cool:

20. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

That is a great tip and really the major troubleshooting tool I use when I notice sluggish performance--the culprit is usually obvious and then the fix is (hopefully) just another step or two away!

21. nemanja0404 macrumors newbie

nemanja0404

for i am a dummie, what is disk permission, exactly, where can i find it on my :apple:?

22. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

Go>Disk Utilities>Verify permissions or repair permissions

23. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...how will the new C2D 2.0 Ghz compare to the OP's 2.4 Ghz machine in terms of general speed?