Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

esaleris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 18, 2005
I have a PowerMac G4 Digital Audio, 466Mhz with 2.0 TB of storage. It doesn't look like I can install Leopard on it with significant hacking. So I'd like to keep Tiger on it and use it as a Time Machine server for 2 of my Macs. How would I go about it?

I've read that I can "touch" a .com.apple.timemachine.support onto the drive of my choice, and TM can use it. But what about this nonsense about hard-links and a new AFP protocol to support it? Ultimately, I'm not looking to hack TM into "working," but it'd be great to demystify exactly what TM requires to operate "correctly" with my current setup.

Yoursh

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
MN
From the looks of it if you want to set up a mac to be a Time Machine server, it, you need to run OSX server. This AFP protocol stuff they added seems to be included in the server version 10.5. There might be a work around down the road, but not yet. Have you tried to network access the DA from a leopard machine and then run time machine and see if it saw a network drive to use? Haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Oh, I was going to say, I was able to load leopard on my 466 DA model. As long as you have enough ram and an upgraded video card(no drivers in leopard for the ATI rage pro), it should install. I used target disc mode from my xserve and installed it to a second drive in the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.