Best way to manage all Mac network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RIZZO124, Nov 15, 2013.

1. RIZZO124 macrumors member

I've got a home network with 3 iMacs, 3 Mac minis 3 iPads and 3 iPhones. I have 6 kids from 5 to 13 that use the machines each at their own level. My question is what is the best way to manage the computers re user accounts, installing apps, upgrading OS, etc. is there an easy way I don't know about or do I just keep plodding along going from machine to machine by hand.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

With kids you need to protect them from seeing/ downloading expensive/ nefarious things. IMHO you should use OpenDNS.com (see their instructional video to see how to set it up). That would be a big step in protecting your family.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You might take a look at installing OS X Server on your main machine (the one you personally use) and using that to manage OS X and iOS profiles. $20 in the App Store.

4. gobsmacked macrumors member

My brother is in your situation but his kids are 3-4 yrs older.
    He uses OpenDNS and OSX Server as satcomer and Weaselboy have already suggested. One other thing they have done is move the computers into open areas and designated them all as "family" computers. That way the largest screen or the fastest computer are available to anyone that needs it at the time and he can manage his upgrades in a rational fashion rather than based on who whines loudest. It also helps with the monitoring of the kid's activities.

As an aside - back in the days of the Wild West, before he set it up, I was stunned by the entrails of my 13 year old niece's usage. My brother took the appropriate parental action and I gave her the "creepy uncle" talk. As satcomer implied you may find that part of the management equation is the most important.

5. RIZZO124 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone for your advice. I'll look into opendns and OS X server. Although I use synology diskstation ds410 for central files and thus wouldn't need the backup features of OS X server, there are other features that would be useful.

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

Tossing in another vote for OS X Server. You can create user accounts, distribute profiles (to apply restrictions), run an internal software update server (SUS) to help with bandwidth, etc. My bet is you'll think it's the best $20 you've ever spent.