Best way to manage PDF/DJVU library

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by shighhopes, Jun 20, 2012.

1. shighhopes macrumors newbie

I'm quite determined at buying a new iPad in the following weeks, but I still have a few reservations, mainly related to its primary intended use: reading ebooks.

I have a library of considerable size (i.e. several Gigabytes) of scientific books and articles in .pdf and .djvu formats. While using an iPad I'd like to be able to access at least a good portion of them - offline.

My questions are:
    - What is the most convenient way to upload a library of this size to an iPad? We're talking about Gigabytes and thousands of files here and my internet upload rate is almost negligible so some common solutions involving cloud/Dropbox/mail attachments are out of the question for multiple reasons. Is it possible to transfer them without confining myself to a single application like GoodReader, iAnnotate, etc.? Is it possible for example to upload them to a "manager" app, where I can put the in folders or tag them etc. and then choose the application I'd like to read/annotate with, preferrably without duplicating the document in the memory for each app?
    - I also have many .djvu files, (making up approx. 10% of the library). Is there an application which manages them along with .pdfs? It would be a pain, if I would have to use separate apps for the two formats. I know that I could, in principle, convert them to .pdf, but I'd really like to avoid doing that.

On Android tablets (I'm also considering an Asus Transformer) these are almost non-issues AFAIK, as I could use a filemanager with some reading Apps; but as far as actual eBook reading is concerned they are not really a match to the 3rd Gen iPad's almost quadruple resolution and more fitting aspect ratio (at least that was my verdict after comparing them in practice at the stores). Also the annotation and management apps for the iPad look amazing.

Thanks for the help!

2. shighhopes thread starter macrumors newbie

Can GoodReader transfer/manage unsupported filetypes?

After some research I'd like to specify/rephrase my question:

I'm thinking of doing the following:
    - Installing Goodreader and a DJVU reader app
    - Transferring both the PDFs and DJVUs into Goodreader via USB with file sharing in iTunes
    - Using Goodreader to put them into a folder structure of my liking, making it a substitute for a proper file manager
    - Using the "Open with..." option in GoodReader to open the DJVUs with a reader supporting them (as GoodReader does not). Also opening the PDFs in another reader if I choose to do so for some reason (e.g using iAnnotate to annotate scanned PDFs).
    Could this work?

I'm aware that Readdle can do something like this (at least according to its Manual), but I have seen GoodReader recommended more often as an eBook app.

Thanks in advance!

3. Benson11 macrumors regular

Benson11

Dropbox is a good place to start. It's a free app. You can upload them via the web client on your PC/MAC, and they will then be available on your iPad. Another option is the GoodReader app. Very good at managing PDF's, etc.

4. shighhopes thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but please read the posts before answering to them.

5. Fiveos22 macrumors 65816

Fiveos22

I am interested in this same situation, looking just now it appears I have 5.6 gigs of "book size" pdfs as well as a couple hundred other pdf articles of varying length. I'm thinking of using Mendeley (which I use on my desktop) but if there is something better I am all ears.

P.S. I also have several CHM files that have an uncertain future if I get a tablet.

6. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

calibre will act like a itunes for pdfs and ebooks, but I've never been able to get it to load a ipad. It works fine for Kobo Touch.

http://calibre-ebook.com/about

7. Calomax macrumors newbie

Once you've converted them with Calibre they're in your Calibre Library. From there you can import them into iTunes.