Best way to match Printer profile and 17" unibody screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NStocks, Mar 6, 2009.

1. NStocks macrumors 65816

Okay, I've just spent £35 on some ink for my Epson RX560 printer, and the results are good ( for compatibles, I get 4x more for my money), but the printed image looks darker than it does on screen. Where can or how can I do it so the printer matches when I'm seeing on screen ? Without spending loads on a professional calibrator.

Thank You

NStocks

2. ilikebeer macrumors newbie

No easy way out

Unfortunately, a canned monitor profile has many uncontrolled variables that make print matching a haphazard endeavor at best. There are quite a few hardware calibration systems that don't cost an arm and a leg; barring that, I'd try to find a friend that does a lot of photography and see if he/she has and will let you borrow one.

If you're really interested in making sure what you see on screen matches what you print, there's a wealth of information out there about using a color-managed process to get from camera to print. It's way beyond the scope of a simple forum post, but it's not rocket science.

If, however, you still don't want to go that route, and you feel the colors are reasonably represented, just turn down the brightness on your screen, reprint, and compare. It's simply a matter of matching your on-screen brightness to the print.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The only way to really match is get a hardware calibrator and calibrate the screen. Then you need to make sure you are printing from an app like Photoshop, tell it to manage the colors and in the printer options when you print select no color management (since Photoshop is handling it).

Even then there will be minor differences. The print is reflected light while the screen is transmitted light. Getting prints and screens to match perfectly is really a black art requiring lots of experimentation and profiling of both the screen and printer. Getting them to almost match perfectly is much easier.

4. NStocks thread starter macrumors 65816

I see, I know there are a few variables but aslong as it looks a little more accurate, I can live with that... I just don't like wasting money on ink and Photo Paper and know that the print will be quite different to what's on screen.

Have you calibrated your 17" Unibody at all ? Should I start a thread like we did with the 15" Unibody that helped a few people out. I can't spend anymore money on this sort of thing, as much as I'd like my own calibrator I need to save money for University.

Thank You

NStocks

5. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And checking the histogram. Dead giveaway.

For accurate colours though....you're better off getting a hardware colour calibrator.