Best way to max out my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacNeedsGamers, Nov 7, 2011.

1. MacNeedsGamers macrumors newbie

So I have had my Macbook Pro for about 2 months, and wanted to know the best way to max out my Macbook Pro. I wanted the best way graphics card to buy for it, how to max out the RAM, and a great way to keep the laptop cool.

Specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro
    Processor Name: Intel Core i5
    Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
    Number of Processors: 1
    Total Number of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
    L3 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

The first thing to do is the RAM. I view it as the easiest upgrade with the best result. Check to see what type of RAM it takes, and then go buy some from OWC, Crucial, New Egg, any place you feel comfortable shopping.

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Aside from installing an SSD or more RAM there's not much you can change.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This. If your looking for "the best way graphics card to buy for it" you're out of luck. You can't upgrade graphics on a notebook. You can upgrade the RAM or the hard drive, but the GPU is part of the motherboard. The only way to change it is to buy a new computer.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Max out the RAM and stick an Other World Computing 6G SSD in there.

I just did that on my quad-core i7 MBP, and it absolutely flies.

6. MacNeedsGamers thread starter macrumors newbie

How is my Macbook Pro a notebook? I thought it was a laptop... Pardon by newbness.. :p....

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Notebook and Laptop are different expressions for the same thing:

oxford dictionary:

Notebook:

a laptop computer, especially a small, slim one.

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/notebook

laptop.

a computer that is portable and suitable for use while travelling.

So no matter which you use either is correct.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

"Best way to max out my Macbook Pro"?

Isn't that like saying, "The highest of all the peaks on Mt. Everest"?

If you're looking for the max configuration, get it - but there's only one max configuration.

9. Edge100 macrumors 68000

What did people do to get their daily dose of semantics before the Internet?

10. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Nothing about semantics here - if the maximum amount of RAM he can put in the computer is 16 Gb, then to max it out he should put 16 Gb into it. There's no "best way" to do that; either it's 16 (max), or it's less. Same with the HD/SSD - get the biggest and fastest you can get and put it in there. Presto, it's maxed out. There really isn't any wiggle room here; either it's maxed out, or it isn't. It's not an opinion-based discussion, and there's no "best way."

11. hafr macrumors 68030

No, it's not. It's not even close, actually.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If that's the case, then what are the maximum amounts of RAM that can go into the computer? You seem to be aware of several maximum amounts, can you list a handful of them here?

What about maximum HD storage? What are the largest HD sizes that will work with the computer? Can you name some?

13. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

See my signature!!!!

My 2010 MBP goes up to 8Gb while the 2011 can do 16gb but that option is still too expensive. As far as hard drive you can either do large large and fast (like mine) or smaller and super fast like an SSD - depends on how much storage you want/need.

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

ssd doesn't have to be smaller but it depends on your budget as well as the storage as you can already buy 512gb ssds but they just cost a bit more.

15. NJuul macrumors 6502

Another option that haven't been mentioned yet besides adding memory and an SSD, is to get one of these:

http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/9-5-mm-SATA-Optical-Bay-SATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure/IF107-080

Then you can install an SSD where the hard drive sits, and move your hard drive into the optical bay. Gives you the best of both worlds, high speed SSD + high capacity internal hard drive.
    You will loose the optical drive, but who ever uses that anyway.

Of course, maxing out the MBP like this should really depends on wether or not you are in need of it. Adding 16gb of memory and a high capacity SSD will easily set you back ~$1500, which can actually buy you an extra Macbook Air instead. So if this is just for the fun of it, reconsider.

16. Skika macrumors 68030

+ 1 for the Optibay! Get rid of that dinasour and treat your MBP with SSD + HD goodness!

Max out the ram and you are ready to go!

17. MacNeedsGamers thread starter macrumors newbie

18. abz1981 macrumors 65816

You need to ask yourself a question about if you really need to spend money and max out your mbp.

Any reason why? If its working fine for you right now as it is then keep the specs you have. Only max it out and add extra ram etc if you feel you really need to this. That's my opinion anyway.

19. MacNeedsGamers thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I will just either boost my RAM to 8gb or 16gb and then change the HDD to SDD... Wait which is better HDD or SDD?

20. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

SSD is very very fast but priced as such. Also shockproof (zero moving parts)

HDD is what's inside now, usually 5200 RPM. Cool & Quiet and of average speed.

Hybrid is a small 4GB Flash drive coupled with a 7200 RPM HDD. The Seagate Momentus XT is a Hybrid. Faster than an HDD but slower than an SDD. You can get 750GB though.

Boosting your RAM more than 4GB will generally show no speed improvement unless you're running lots of programs or RAM hungry apps i.e. Photoshop.

21. Skika macrumors 68030

You can still use it, just get an external. The problem is if u need it always or really frequently not on a desktop.

22. hafr macrumors 68030

In my world, there is no consensus over which are the best components, or even which gives you the most "bang for the buck", which means that if you ask two guys about the best way of maxing out an MBP base 13,3" early 2011, you'll most likely get two different answers.

Also, the best way of maxing out a computer has to be based on the individual's need. If he does nothing that uses a lot of RAM, then putting in 16 GB is overkill. Same goes for getting a 1 TB SSD if all he does is using it for surfing and school stuff. It will be "more maxed out" than if he gets 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD, but even if he didn't pay for it himself he wouldn't notice the difference. Ergo, not the best way of maxing it out.

----------

According to Tomorrow, it's clearly the one with the most capacity ;)

23. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If his computer can use 16 Gb and he puts in less than that, then it's "upgraded," but it isn't "maxed out."

24. hafr macrumors 68030

If we look at it the way an autistic would, then yes, you're correct in terms of the size of the RAM part. But then comes the question, which brand? Is there consensus to which brand and make that is the best for MacBook Pro's?

And then we have the storage space. You already said the best is to put in as much as possible, bigger is better. But, an HDD gives him more space and an SSD gives him a faster drive. Which is better? Could the answer be, hold on to your horses now, "it depends on how he's going to use the computer"?