Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
Is there an easy and elegant way for me to transfer my Boot Camp partition onto my new iMac?

I was thinking of just doing a restore in Disk Utility, however then the question becomes do I do the partitioning using boot camp assistant, or should I use disk utility and then transfer the partition?
Or is it simply impossible to do and I have to re-install windows and then transfer the files?

Nuke61

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Columbia, SC
Is there an easy and elegant way for me to transfer my Boot Camp partition onto my new iMac?

I was thinking of just doing a restore in Disk Utility, however then the question becomes do I do the partitioning using boot camp assistant, or should I use disk utility and then transfer the partition?
Or is it simply impossible to do and I have to re-install windows and then transfer the files?

I use Parallels so I have no experience with this, but here's something I found using a search: http://terrywhite.com/migrate-windows-boot-camp-partition-to-a-new-mac/

duri

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Rothrist, Switzerland

The easiest way I found to migrate your BootCamp partition is the Software called Winclone. It's very easy to use. There is a old free version ( I believe v 2.x) and a new one (v 3.7). The new version is not free trough but worth any cent. Only the new pne will support ML.

Fried Chicken

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 11, 2011
The easiest way I found to migrate your BootCamp partition is the Software called Winclone. It's very easy to use. There is a old free version ( I believe v 2.x) and a new one (v 3.7). The new version is not free trough but worth any cent. Only the new pne will support ML.

Everywhere I look online, people are having success with winclone.
Unfortunately I get an error about the file system (see attached screenshot).

I imaged the windows partition from the old computer to an external disk, and restoring it using winclone didn't work.

I think the problem lies with how I made the windows partition.
I couldn't use boot camp b/c it required a windows ISO. Now I found out on this thread that you can download a 30-day trial. I might do that and then try to create the partition in boot camp.

I was following this guide to make a boot camp partition, and I thought I had succeeded but I guess I didn't.

[edit]
ah I can't add pictures yet

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
Did you follow these steps? http://twocanoes.com/support/winclone/migrating-a-bootcamp-partition-with-winclone

I tried this on Windows 8 and it worked sometimes. The key to getting it to backup flawlessly is to check for disk errors and remove all drivers from the partition (if its a different model mac). However, on Windows 8 I couldn't remove drivers because of an error code preventing me so luckily it worked when I transferred from a replacement iMac to my current one with the same specs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.