Best way to migrate from 2012 to 2016MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Los Angeles, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Los Angeles macrumors member

Hey all,

Whats the best way to migrate your files from a 2012 MBP to a 2016 MBP. I dont want to copy everything over. Just some programs, some files and all photos and music.

Thank you,

2. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I think with a TimeMachineBackup of the 2012 you can then setup from Time Machine but it lets you select what you want and don't want transferred. If only a few things just using a portable HD or thumb drive to move the music, photos and then download the apps again.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204754

3. cmaier macrumors G3

What I do is use carbon copy cloner to clone my disk to an external disk, then use migration assistant on the new machine. It gives you some options as to what to copy over. Alternative is to then use finder on the new machine to copy stuff over, if it isn't a lot of stuff.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'd suggest:

1. Create a cloned backup of the 2012 on an external drive, using either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

2. Connect the cloned backup to the new MBP.

3. Now you have a choice:

3a. Use Migration Assistant to "selectively migrate" stuff you choose to move over. Be aware that you cannot pick and choose among apps -- it's either "all" or "none".

3b. Do a "manual migration" by hand. Be aware that with some applications, if you copy only the app itself, you may be "leaving other stuff" behind that is necessary for the app to function. Depends on just which apps you're trying to migrate.

Also be aware that you cannot copy the "main subfolders" in your home folder directly to the new Mac. By "main subfolders" I mean the folders named "Pictures", "Music", "Movies", "Library", etc.
    HOWEVER -- you CAN copy files/folders that are INSIDE these folders. That is to say, you can copy individual pics, songs, etc.

Also be aware that if you do manual migration, you could run into permissions issues UNLESS you do this:
    1. Click ONE time on drive icon to select it
    2. Type command-i (eye) to bring up the get info box
    3. At the bottom click the lock icon and enter your password
    4. In the sharing and permissions area, put a check into the box "Ignore ownership on this volume".
    5. Now you can freely copy files from the old drive to the new MBP without permissions conflicts.

5. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Just get a USB-C to USB-A cable. Make sure it's USB 3, I've accidently purchased some that wasn't 3.x and they don't transfer at USB 3 speed. Then just boot your old MacBook into Target Disk Mode and copy stuffs over.

6. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

ScottNWDW

I migrated from a early 2011 13" MacBook Pro to the new 2016 13" MacBook Pro just a few days ago. Since 90% of the apps that I use were purchased through the Mac App Store and all of my data is either in iCloud or SkyDrive I just downloaded fresh copies of the apps through the purchased apps tab in the App Store. Just went down the list and installed the apps I wanted on the MacBook Pro. The other 10% of Apps (Office 365 and Desktop Informant) were downloaded via their websites. Once all the apps were downloaded the documents just came right over after signing into iCloud and my Office 365 account. It was really quick and easy.

Two years ago when I got my iMac and wanted to move everything from the MacBook to the iMac, I did one of the options listed above and it took hours. This literally was done in less than an hour. Really surprised me how quick it went. Now all my Macs, iPads and iPhone are in sync.

7. NYCVB macrumors newbie

Is there any reason not to just use a thunderbolt to usb-c cable and migrate the entire drive over? What is the benefit of Carboncopy cloner or any other program if I'm intending on copying over my entire hard drive?

8. cmaier macrumors G3

I find the clone method faster. Every single time I've ever tried machine to machine migration, it's gotten stuck for a long time near the end and after hours I cancel. Seems each time everything has been migrated, but it has always made me nervous. Also, you can keep using your old machine while it migrates when you use a clone.

9. Los Angeles thread starter macrumors member

10. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie