Best way to move data from MBA to MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chfilm, Dec 14, 2016.

1. chfilm macrumors 65816

chfilm

Hi,

my mom is getting my old macbook air for christmas while I'm upgrading to the new pro 13" :)
    In your mind, what's the best way, to get all the data moved over?
    I don't really mind re-installing all the software, my biggest issue is with a Traktor DJ Library wich links to the itunes music folder.

Is time machine a feasible option? What other options are there?

2. Marshall73 macrumors 65816

Marshall73

AC wifi or just use an external HDD to transfer everything. I normally use carbon copy cloner. Take a full image of the old drive so you can then wipe it. Then just copy what you need to the new Mac. Using migration wizard etc just brings a load of crap over to your new machine so it's far cleaner to do the manual copy if you are up to the task.

3. Jefe's MacAir macrumors 6502

I have had no issues w/ Migration Assistant over wifi. About 200GB of data takes about 30 minutes using wifi.

4. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

Used Migration Assistant on mine. Took about an hour to move 120GB of data over wifi.

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Migration Assistant works fine, but I'm quoting this bit in case anyone else missed it:

Is the Traktor library on a different drive?

6. Antairez macrumors regular

Antairez

Give your mom the new Pro and problem solved.

Alright just kidding, try migration assistant.

7. esk macrumors member

8. chfilm thread starter macrumors 65816

chfilm

No, I just did some research and actually found out that the tractor library is rather simple to transfer. I was a little worried because I thought it was referencing all the tracks directly form the iTunes music folder, and then they'd be gone after I set up the machine as new because I would have to re download them manually form iTunes Match. But it turns out, Traktor copied them Into a separate directory. Simple solution.

9. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

10. sparky08 macrumors regular

I'm moving from a 4 year old 512GB MBA to a 1TB MBP. I'd like to use the opportunity to clean up years of crap. So, I'd like to archive my MBA in a way that I can easily access documents from a external drive or cloud. Over time, I'd grab the necessary files, and the rest would be archived, in case I need them later.

What's the best way to do this?