Best Way to Move Files from 2011 MBP to 2017 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kevsta26, Jun 9, 2017.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

After 6 years, I’m finally making the well needed upgrade to the new 2017 MBP from my 2011 MBP.

I was wondering what all of you would suggest as the best way to move my wanted files from the old to the new. So far, I’ve considered using a 6 TB external HD and either transferring the files over my network or getting a USB C to USB A adapter and transferring them directly from the old computer to the drive and then from the drive to the new computer using the adapter.

I’m looking for the fastest way without spending a lot on additional cables / storage.

Thank you!

2. killawat macrumors 65816

The fastest and most expensive option would be to buy a TB3 to TB2 adapter and use target disk mode for your old Mac, that way you don't have to copy anything except directly to the source. Again this is $$$spendy.

Next is ethernet and/or wireless using migration assistant.

But if you don't have any external storage I would definitely do that option first. Any of the WD MyBooks will work fine. I would opt for more cheaper desktop storage than mobile storage (unless you want it on the go). After you copy your files you can use the external as a target for time machine or some other backup using Carbon Copy Cloner. You are backing up your files right?

3. Kevsta26 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To be honest, I’m not moving that much over from MacOS. It’s more on the Bootcamp side, but I’m considering switching to only MacOS for the time being. On MacOS, my only important files are a lot pictures so I want to move over my photos library. As for the rest, I kind of just want a fresh start other than a few important things, but I do have a good chunk of files on Bootcamp I want to move over.

Do you think my idea of using the USB C to A adapter with a 6 TB HD (which just happens to be a WD MyBook as you said) would work well? All I would need to do is plug my old computer into it and move files over and then use the adapter to plug it into the new one and move stuff over. Either that or just move through the network, but I’m sure that takes a while longer?