Best way to MOVE old user from external HD to NEW MAC HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tivoboy, May 4, 2010.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, I had a drive fail the other day (actually was my nephews computer), I managed to get the drive out and managed to copy MOST of the files off the drive. I got the USER folder which was the meat of it, and the Applications folder just in case it made sense. Put in a new bigger drive, was back up and running

This was an older MBP and only had 10.4 on it, and apparently I could ONLY PUT 10.4 on it based on it only looking for those original disks.

SOOO, now I have the OS installed, 10.4 I guess and I have ALL this data on an external HD or on a network drive AE.

WHAT is the best way to get this old user setup again on the NEW Hard Drive?
    Migration assistant at bootup really only looks for "on this drive" or connected via firewire in TDM. But, I have neither.

I really want to try to setup this user as close to what it was as possible.

I was thinking, create new admin user to get to bootup, then start MOVING the older user into the NEW USERS folder on the fresh drive? Move all their data, and then move SOME applications over?

Will that essentially CREATE this user? I want this user to be primary for installing, itunes, etc. Where is that older USER data located?

Is there a better way. Most info I have found on here and google talks only about "if you HAVE your OLD MAC, it is really easy" but I need to just migrated MAIL, ITUNES and DOCS. All of which I THINK is in the older username folder

2. realz macrumors member

Create the new User and then just copy the files you need. Should work without any issues.
    PS: I did the same thing 10 days ago when I migrated my Data from old MBP to the new one.

3. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

new user

Does one create the NEW user as the same name as the OLD user? I have heard this creates conflicts,

Or, create a FRESH new user, but then move the OLD user data over and will there then be TWO users?

4. realz macrumors member

I am not aware of any issues same name may create.
    I've done both (same name and different name data restore) and haven't faced any issues.
    Most of your data is anyway saved in ~/ so it doesn't matter what is the username.
    I would say its safe to do either way.