Best way to name a song before importing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by From A Buick 8, Jun 26, 2012.

1. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

What is the best practice for naming songs prior to adding to iTunes. I think i am doing it wrong because some times they do not get assosiated to the right album or Artiest.

2. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I just add it to the iTunes library first and then right click over the song and select "Get Info" and manually add any song/album/artist data (or even album artwork) that isn't there or needs correcting. I find it to be the easiest and best way to make sure it's all properly tagged.

3. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I have been doing that, just wondering if i could add something to the track title prior to dropping into iTunes that would help iTunes do it's metadata search.

I know when i add TV shows to iDentify for taging i use the below standard and that makes the process much smoother for iDentify.

tvshowname.season episode number
    example
    The Middle. S01E01

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I rip all my music and sometimes the songs show up as Track 1, Track 2, etc. I prefer to rename those in Finder, rather than iTunes. Then I use scripts to automatically populate tags from the filenames, which are usually in the format of: Santana 07 Samba Pa Ti.mp3 One script will populate the song name with the file name. Another will parse that name into the song Name, Artist and Track Number fields.

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes is a great resource for managing your iTunes tags and files.

Here are a few scripts that I've found particularly useful:

5. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thanks for that, so if i am reading that right the way you name them is;
    Artist track track title

Would the Album name go there as well, i have run into issues where iTunes assigns the track to the wrong album.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

My library organization is different from the default iTunes method. In iTunes > Preferences > Advanced I've unchecked these boxes:
    [​IMG]
    My music is organized in folders by Genre, then Album Artist, then Album name, then the tracks within each album folder. It's taken me about 10 years to build my collection and organize it, populate the tags, find lyrics, artwork, etc.

iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
    • Album
    • Album Artist
    • Sort Album
    • Sort Album Artist
    As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't immediately, remove the album from your library and re-add it.

7. From A Buick 8 thread starter macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Thank you Caliber26 and GGJstudios for all the help.