best way to play MKV on Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2ms, Aug 17, 2012.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

Sorry for the newbie question, but I gotta ask if anyone can tell me what the best way to play MKV videos on my new Retina MBP would be.

In the past, I've used Perian. However, now when I installed it it doesn't work. I don't know if that's because it's stopped being updated and I'm on new hardware now or what.

But I'd be immensely appreciative if anyone could tell me what the simplest way of playing MKVs is. The ideal, of course, would be in simple and easy to use player that I am familiar with like Quicktime, with full GPU acceleration and the highest available smoothness and efficiency/battery life/laptop not getting hot. But I realize that might be a lot to ask for certain file types.

2. lot of apples macrumors newbie

3. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

I second VLC. It's an amazing program. It plays virtually any file format. It even plays video when it's still in a rar file. One time I didn't completely download a movie, it still played the file. Though there were some parts missing in the movie.

VLC is also still updated (unlike Perian). It offers extra controls and options. Although I don't think the export option is terrific.

I'm not sure whether it consumes a lot of power or uses a lot of calculational power, but I feel like it's very efficient. But I've used it often times on a slow computer because VLC was the only program to play it without hiccups.