Best way to polish iphone 4 metallic band

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakuna-matata, Mar 4, 2012.

1. hakuna-matata macrumors 6502

Guyz, i am selling iphone to some person who exclusively wants as good as new metallic band around iphone 4 body..wat's the best way to do this as this iphone has some normal usage signs which become completely visible when seen under light. Any member here tried this successfully before..just give me some useful points..want to make metallic band of iphone 4 look as good as new(or close:)) thnx

2. hakuna-matata thread starter macrumors 6502

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I am selling my iPad 2 that has a few minor scratches on the back cover. I have a great stainless steel polish I use for my kitchen appliances, and was gonna maybe try it on a small portion of the iPad cover. I know it's not stainless steel, but I am thinking it might work. I'll let you know how I make out.

5. hakuna-matata thread starter macrumors 6502

that would be really great if it works out..do post your updates over this when you're done .thnx

6. kimtyson macrumors member

Any stainless steel polish would work. Use sparingly and test a small spot first. Maybe you have something in the garage... like for cleaning cars.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Polish will make the surfaces shiny and not get rid of scratches with out changing the texture of the aluminum. It will look worst after the attempt.

The stainless band around the iPhone is MUCH harder and has a brushed or matte finish. It would take a very aggressive polish to remove any wear of scratches and again it would tend to shine the area well before a scratch was removed. Sanding is your best bet or a wire brush but you will need to remove the band from the phone to do this safely.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The band isn't polished in anyway it's chemical etched. Polishing it will make it worst!