best way to prepare imac for sell

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bbridges, Nov 1, 2011.

1. bbridges macrumors newbie

I am selling my fairly new iMac because of an unexpected move and want to hand the computer over with all my personal data wiped and all the applications etc remaining on the computer. I have everything backed up on time machine but want to make sure I don't make some tragic error. I wont' be able to restore to a new computer until I reach my new destination.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Pop in original osx disk reboot holding c down. Use disk utility from the top bar to format the drive then install osx once you see the osx start up video eject the disk and power it off!

3. B.A.T macrumors 6502

Another option is to create a temporary user account and give that account admin privileges. Once it is created delete your account. The temp account will have all of your installed software and will be brand new for the new owner.

4. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

On the new iMacs you don't get any software on disks. I am about to return a 27" i7Mac to Apple because of the "Wi-Fi: No hardware installed" and USB devices not reattaching bugs.

I do not wish to return this iMac with personal information on it. I have attached an external USB hard drive, formatted it Extended, and even have the Recovery HD partition installed and a Time Machine backup on it, but I find every time I try to 'reinstall' OS X Lion it still has the original user account in place with that users personal information and data.

I've even booted into the external drive's Recovery HD and could not delete the OS X Lion partition. It seems it may no longer be allowed.

5. Dnix macrumors 6502

If using Disk Utility, make sure to not just format.

Do at least a x1 pass. Or preferably, take the time for a x7 to ensure nothing's left on there.