Best way to prepare Macbook for selling?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bs-2010, Oct 28, 2013.

1. bs-2010 macrumors member

Hi guys I'm going to attempt to sell my 2009 MBP soon and I'm just wondering what the best way to prepare it for selling is.

As far as clearing it off is it best to do a complete wipe of the hard drive? I have Mavericks on it right now so is there a way for me to clear most of the information but retain Mavericks for the buyer or is it linked to my Apple account?

Also, what is a good price point? I see a lot en ebay that are not working but still have a price point of anywhere from $300 to $400.

Mine is a 2.53 ghz processor and I have upgraded it to 8gb of ram and a 500gb hard drive. It works fine, but had quite a few scratches and some dents on the body. There is also a crack on the trackpad but you can't feel it and it doesn't affect the mouse movements at all.

Thanks

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Since Mavericks is a free upgrade the new owner can just download it for free if needed.

3. bs-2010 thread starter macrumors member

That's true, but if I do a complete wipe then it would revert back to Snow Leopard right, which doesn't qualify for the free upgrade correct?

4. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

You can get the free upgrade from Snow Leopard, you don't need to have purchased Lion or Mountain Lion first.

5. bs-2010 thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok. For some reason I was under the impression that it was Lion or up that got the free upgrade

6. Attonine macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's any necessity for you to make sure the buyer has the latest system. All you need to do is return the computer to the state you bought it in, so just reinstall the OS from the discs it came with. the buyer can then do as they wish.

7. bs-2010 thread starter macrumors member

Ok thanks. Also, does anyone have any pricing advice?

It has 8gb of ram, 500gb hd, and everything works fine (including cd drive and webcam). There are quite a few scratches on the bottom and the trackpad has a crack in it although you can't feel it and it doesn't affect the trackpad (works perfectly).