best way to preserve battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by haring, Jan 11, 2011.

1. haring macrumors member

What is the best way to make sure that the batteries on my macbook last long?

People say that the best way is to make sure that the batteries last long is that I recharge the batteries 100% and disconnect the mac from the charger and only recharge the batteries again when the batteries are totall flat. They don't recommend keeping the cahrging cable plugged in day and night because it kills the battery over time.

What are your thoughts?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions: Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

3. nospeed411 macrumors 6502a

There is a million opinions on that floating around here. There is a rec. way that apple has stated which I have followed to a T. I still have a battery that is at 80% after 11 months. Really pisses me off cause my wife's MB Aluminum that has 210 load cycles on it and basically sits under the end table plugged in 99% of it's life still has 98% of original capacity.

I am beginning to think leaving it plugged in all the time is the way to go cause "their" way is just going to put me in a battle with genius bar this week.:mad:

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It really isn't the way to go :D. My battery is so dead, it can't even last 5 minutes. I get to the desktop, load safari and (*click*) computer turns off. I know guys, it's a hard thing to do, but charge responsibly! :D

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rather than depending on opinions, you can read the FAQ I just posted for facts, directly from Apple.
    The fact that she has 210 cycles on her battery proves it hasn't been plugged in most of the time.
    Leaving it plugged in all the time is a sure way to guarantee a quick death of a battery.

6. haring thread starter macrumors member