Best Way To Preserve Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mum4519, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Mum4519 macrumors member

What is it? My 6+ goes about 6-8 hours with moderate usage. I feel like I should get more. Wifi is on, Bluetooth off. Basic usage is Safari, messages, some Facebook. Little to no videos. From what I've seen, people are getting 10+ hours with heavy media usage.

I have 56% left now.
    3 hrs 10 min usage
    9 hrs 49 mins standby

2. bp1000 macrumors 65816

How many dots of signal do you have?

Low signal kills battery life

Unessecary gps use too followed by tonnes of push notifications that wake the screen

I turn off some privacy stuff, remove background app refresh and enable on essential notifications to activate the lock screen

Everything else I leave default as its essential to the enjoyment of using a smartphone

3. Celedral macrumors 6502

Celedral

It's most likely "background app refresh" and/or email fetching set at a higher interval. Turn off BAckground refresh and watch those time increase.

4. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

Dude im over seas in Colombia...my 6 plus is on airplane mode with only wifi on and i can literally watch my battery percentage go down while i scroll through twitter. Everything i can find that drains battery is turned off and the back side of my phone gets extremely hot.

i have no clue if it is because im over seas or what but while i was in the states my battery was performing amazing.

5. Mum4519 thread starter macrumors member

I posted 20 mins ago and was at 56% and now I'm at 51%.
    I have 2 dots of Verizon signal.
    Back group Apps refresh are all off with the exception of Weather and two more. I assume that keeps my weather updated without having to open the app (like on notification screen) or am I wrong? Oh look. 50% now

6. Mum4519 thread starter macrumors member

7. madsci954 macrumors 68030

8. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Turn off background app refresh
    Automatic App Updates

and you should be good.

9. Mum4519 thread starter macrumors member

Both are already off.

Battery usage says:
    Usage 4 hrs 6 mins
    Standby 11 hrs 23 mins

42% now

EDIT: 40%. Down 2% in 4 minutes.

10. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Something is definitely not right with your battery. Have you considered doing a factory reset and setting up as a new phone? And test the battery.

11. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

The rate it's going you'll probably get 6-7 hours usage. Which doesn't seem so bad. However, you can try a restore and start fresh if you'd like. See if that changes anything

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Settings, general, usage, battery usage.
    That will show you exactly what uses up your battery life the most for the past 24 hours or last 7 days.

13. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

14. richgirl macrumors member

When i first got my 6+ my battery was meh. I set my phone up as new, no back up and the most it seemed I could get out of it was 7 hrs and 40 mins of heavy usage. Then I started turning off all his did stuff to see if i could get better battery. I finally made it to 9 hrs and 50 mins of battery. Reset my settings, drained and charged it full twice-- after about an hour usage I only dropped down to 95%. I expect that with the iPhone 6+ majority of us will probably get 8-10 hours usage. I'm not sure how people are getting 11+ but I think a lot of it has to do with cellular reception. I notice that if I'm on wifi, depending on my cell reception completely changes how quickly my phone uses bat although I'm on wifi. Upstairs, with 3 bars I managed after 2 hrs and 45 minutes to only be at 80%. Downstairs where my cell reception is at 1 bar, I'm getting about 1 hr more or less per 10%.

15. Mum4519 thread starter macrumors member

Has that been shown to improve it? What needs to be done?

16. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Make sure this setting is off :D

Attached Files:

17. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Well not necessarily shown to improve it. But if you did restore from back up, there might be something in the back up that may drain your phone.

What you could do is double tap home button and get rid of all the apps on the tray. Then fully charge your phone. Once charged, unplug and let it sit for an hour or so and see if you notice any battery drain without using. Reception does play a role when it comes to battery drain (including wifi). So if you have horrible reception then it's likely that your phone will use more power to maintain the reception.

As mentioned above go to settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage. You will then be able to see what percentage of the app you used during the 24 hour and 7 Days.

If nothing works then do the following:

What you need to do is definitely back up your phone just in case. And do a factory restore by going to settings > General > Reset > Erase all content and settings.

Or connect your phone to itunes and restore from there

Set it up as a new device.

18. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

What helped me was turning down the brightness. These devices are way to bright anyway, so turning it down just a bit below comfort really extends battery life. I even leave both radios on now and I'm fine.

Now if my car stereo connects for music over bluetooth, THAT kills it.

19. campyguy macrumors 68040

Just read this thread, saw you're on VZW - I've got a VZW 6 and had problems with battery life, and a really warm handset too during calls - I'm old, and still make phone calls...

A few days ago, I got a new SIM, logged onto My Verizon and enabled Advanced Voice 1.0, waited 15 minutes, then enabled VOLTE (voice + data) in my iPhone 6.

My battery life is much improved - I was on the phone a couple of days ago for almost 3 hours, and the iP6 never got warm. I didn't think about it while I was talking, but when I plugged it in my battery percentage was 93%. I talked with a client yesterday for about 90 minutes, then called the GF for 15 minutes and the battery percentage was 98% - and the phone was never warm...

I've got 4 email accounts enabled (two Exchange - Office 365 and server, and two iCloud accounts). I was able to read my email while on hold too.

For comparison, my iPhone 5 is connected to those same accounts on a different number and used more battery just sitting there getting the same emails but not being used to make calls.

Enable VOLTE on VZW. You'll be glad you did. BTW, the voice quality is so much better...