Best way to print from an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Flux.Capacitor, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Flux.Capacitor macrumors member

What is the best way to print from an iPad (or other iOS device for that matter). Is the only reliable way through an Air Play printer? I currently have an older wireless Canon MP560 which prints just fine for what I need, but it is not AP ready. I would like to be able to print emails, web pages etc. and I would rather not use an app to print, but not completely opposed to it. How do the Airport stations work? do they allow printing from iOS devices if the printer is connected to it? Or do I just need to jump in and get an AP ready printer? I appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

2. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

To print from an airport express it requires from a computer only.

*Wireless printing over USB requires a compatible printer and OS X v10.2.7 or later, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7.

Airprint printers can be very cheap. We got our HP for $60 on amazon.

3. rockgalmusic macrumors newbie

suggested print app

hiya - i have an old printer which obvs isnt airprint enabled, but i downloaded printdirect which is a free third party app
    i know you aren t keen on an app but this one is at least free and prints briliantly from my ipad :)

4. Jord5i macrumors member

Well it's not the only way, but AirPlay is great though. Printers aren't that expensive anymore (heck it's cheaper to buy and sell a printer each time you need cartridges, rather than buying the cartridges themselves), so if you can I would definitely go for that.

I have an HP photosmart printer, and it works fantastic.

5. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Fortunately, my HP printer crapped out on me so I wound up getting an Epson Workforce AIO printer that's AirPrint capable. It's quite nice I must say to be able to print directly from my iPad now :D

I know there are quite a few third party apps on the app store that will allow you to print via wifi but don't only have experience with the HP one. The HP app would only work on certain printer models which was kinda lame. Pretty sure the third party apps work via wifi so one of those might what you're looking for.

6. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I've used Print n Share from my iPhone and it works ok.

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I use printopia running on my Mac, works great until my printer dies, then I will just get an AirPrint native printer.

8. HogWild macrumors newbie

HogWild

I recommend FingerPrint. Works great. Have not run into a Printer that it would not work with as it uses the drivers from Computer. Only drawback is you have to be on the same wifi as computer and a computer must be running this software in background. (not a problem for me at work or home) But other than that nothing changes on the phone. Sees the print as an air print setup and just works. Been awhile since I bought but i believe they do offer a free trial. CHECK IT OUT.

9. inselstudent macrumors 6502a