Best Way to Print from iOS?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by MacVault, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

What is the best, most reliable, most elegant way to print from iOS? I've had an HP LaserJet P1102w for over a while and AirPrinting to it is very unreliable. I just need a small, b/w laser. Is AirPrint really a disaster or is it just the model I have? Any recommendations?

2. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

I have a several year old Epson and have never had a problem printing to it. My son has a Brother and never has issues printing to it. Can't specifically talk to modern lasers but I have not really heard many problems printing.

3. TechiEmmanuel macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

My school had a P1102w for the student printer and part of the reason it's atrocious is because it's Wireless-G only. It kicks everything back to G. They replaced it with a Brother multi-function and everything works well now. But I digress.

I have an HP LaserJet P1606dn at home three years strong and I've never had a problem with it. It uses Ethernet, and it's a bit bigger than the P1102w. It cost $250 when I bought it, and I saw it in Staples a few months ago for around $160.

4. OneBagTravel macrumors 6502

OneBagTravel

I'm curious what your problem with the P1102w is. I'm rocking the same combo and it's been flawless since I implemented it years ago. One thing you might want to try is using a static IP address for the printer.

5. TechiEmmanuel macrumors regular

TechiEmmanuel

My school used a static IP for it when we still had it. Maybe the SonicWall didn't like the printer for some reason? The printer wouldn't broadcast itself over Bonjour so Mac and iOS users couldn't print. But with the Brother, it's been flawless.

6. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

AirPrint gets cut off on my HP printer when I use it.

7. Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

OP--Do you have the latest firmware, my HP7520 and wif'es iPad Air have no issues with printing.

9. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Easy. Take a screenshot, airdrop it to your iPad, email it from your iPad to Mac. Print!

10. dspalton macrumors 6502a

The disadvantage of printing stuff from pictures (and infact for AirPrint for me), is that it swallows ink like Barney in Moes Tavern!
    Is there any apps that allow one to print in 'Draft' quality with HP printers?
    Officejet 6600 I'm using

Dave