Best way to proxy my browser?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kinkster, Sep 19, 2009.

1. kinkster macrumors 6502a

I'm looking to use a proxy or anonymization service with Opera. Jap and Tor are both quite slow.

What would some good alternatives be? I know I can google "proxy" and find something but typically those are just temporary, right?

2. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Tor is a full anonymizer, so it will be slower as your packets bounce off of a random number of random other nodes to keep your identity hidden. You could also use a commercial or public proxy service where you send all your traffic to a single node that then proxies on your behalf. End sites don't know anything about you, but that proxy service does. Commercial ones wouldn't be temporary, but they wouldn't be free, either. Public ones will be around until they get sick of all the bandwidth use (and if they are any good, word will spread and they will get used a lot). Public ones are also known by sites like the BBC and they won't give you restricted content even if your proxy is in the UK. Do you have specific requirements (like showing up as if you are in a particular country and/or getting access to content only available in certain countries)?

3. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Do you really need true anonymization? Or are you looking to get past various ISP blocks and/or use a different geographic IP address? If the latter I'd suggest you look at one of the various commercial VPN services.

4. kinkster thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to get my IP hidden "geographically" but preferably without a proxy being able to look at my traffic.

And I wouldn't want it to give me IPs from the same city/state every time, or have it report random european IPs like Jap(gets annoying viewing foreign versions of sites).

commercial is fine as long as it isn't too pricey and has the ability to get a new US IP on the fly(or atleast fairly quickly)

lol this sound allot more suspicious then it really is.

5. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I'm not sure about the ability to get new IPs each time, but I use www.witopia.net via an OpenVPN client. It gives me a choice of various servers in the US, and also UK (which was important for me).
    It's not an anonymization service per se, but works well to get past ISP blocks, and give me the US or UK IP address. I've been super-happy with it so far, but it just depends on what you actually require. It gives me an unfiltered internet connection through ISPs doing port-blocking, and gives me a US/UK IP which was what I needed. It doesn't truly anonymize your connection though.
    What about using the free (well, ad-supported and bandwidth-limited) HotspotShield?
    Unfortunately some of the best anonymization products are Windows only.

6. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Use a VPN. If you want to go really hardcore, tunnel your traffic over dns thru ssh. That works if your out and about and need a secure connection. Use a VPN and tunnel your dns thru ssh. Best advice I can recommend.

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Could you explain ? IMO, DNS is a UDP protocol so it cannot be simply tunneled through a SSH (TCP) connection.

8. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

(I think) he may be talking about creating an SSH tunnel using DNS as the transport system, i.e. tunneling over DNS, using something like this:

http://thomer.com/howtos/nstx.html

In my opinion that's a very complex way to do it, and probably not what you want, although the technology behind it is pretty cool, but it's moreabout getting past very restrictive blocking, rather than anonymization.

If you do choose to go the witopia route, buy the slightly more expensive OpenVPN service - it's well worth the extra money compared to the PPTP service. I've no relation with witopia, just a happy customer. There are also plenty of other commercial VPN providers out there as well, I just found the feature/price combo at witopia to fit my needs best. If you do go down this route, you'll need an OpenVPN client, of which there are three main ones - Tunnelblick (free, and comes self-configured from witopia), Viscosity ($9 and the best in my opinion), or Shimo (a bit more but which also works as a VPN client for other protocols such as Cisco etc). Viscosity seems to be the most frequently updated and with best support.

9. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

well this is useful only when a firewall restricts outgoing ports and a "classic" SSH tunnel is not possible. Plus, the OP would need to own a DNS server which allows him the SSH over DNS which is not the case.

Tex

10. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yes you are right, I edited my post above to make clear it wasn't really suitable for the OP's purpose. The VPN route is the best unless you really need true anonymization.
    With the VPN route a website you visit or server you connect to etc will only know that the connection came from the VPN provider - not your machine. This provides some level of anonymity. Most of the commercial VPN providers have privacy policies dictating under what circumstances they would provide your details to law enforcement authorities, the good ones doing so only with a court order. A few of the non-US-based ones deliberately do not keep any logs at all, thus negating that issue.
    It just depends what level of anonymity you need.....