Best way to purchase iPad 3 when it comes out?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rainking, Feb 17, 2012.

1. rainking macrumors regular

I know it's going to be high demand and will be bough to find one in stock. What is the best way to make sure you get one? Online? Camp out at the apple store or other retail store? Share your stories when you got the 1 and/or 2.

2. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

If I remember correctly from previous years, both the iPad 1 and 2 came in weeks after release for online orders. If you wanted it release day, you'd have to camp for one. Last year, I think they went on sale at 5PM and I got there at 11AM and was about 15th in line. By 5PM, there were HUNDREDS of people waiting. I really hope Apple is able to fulfill online orders to be delivered on release day like they do with the iPhones. We can really only wait and see at this point, though! :rolleyes:

3. Guacamole macrumors regular

I was wondering this too.

How does the pre-order work? do you get it delivered the day of release? if so, why do people bother with queueing up?
    based on previous releases, If people queue up, how do they know they will get one for sure, how many do they stock in the stores?:confused:

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Simply order it when it becomes available even if you have to set your alarm to wake up to try. It took me a few tries but if you have a pre-approved credit card at the Apple store it goes right through.

Apple then ships it to you for you to get release day or the day after. Skip the hassle unless you like sleeping outside a store with large groups of people you do not know!

Having Apple send it to you is relaxing in comparison!

5. chizzer2003 macrumors member

I went down to my local comet here in the UK about an hour before they began selling them (6PM). They only had about 20 to sell, but i was first in line.

6. urkel, Feb 18, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

Last year was a disaster due to the 5PM release time, lack of online preorder and resellers acquiring entire daily shipments by paying grandmas and non-techies to flood lines so hopefully Apple tries to reclaim the Apple Experience by utilizing their fantastic reservation system for launch day. Waiting in line isn't so bad if you at least know that there's something waiting for you at the other end.

7. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

8. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I recall correctly, there wasn't an preorder prior to launch day last year, hence all the anger when in store inventories ran out that day. I certainly could be wrong but I always will preorder to avoid the line chaos associated with iPhone/iPad launches and had to wait in line for our two iPads last March. Wasn't launch day only one week after the official announcement (and thus the reason why there was no preorder)?

9. Zcott macrumors 68020

Go down early, make friends, have fun, bring cash and warm clothes.

10. Nychot macrumors 6502a

Just like i bought my ipad 2 -- at best buy. They got the 2 in a week or so after release. Was there the first day -- about 25th in line. Got 18 months to pay for it. Will do the same again.

11. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I hope we can pre-order :p I'm not really the queuing type lol I'm rather impatient.

12. Guacamole macrumors regular

So there is no guarantee there is gonna be a pre-order either. I guess nearer the time we will know in advance.
    How about the other stores besides Apple in the UK, say PC World, Cancom, John Lewis etc... , do they get stock on the same day or days or even weeks after the release?

13. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

No preorder last year.

I can tell you, if they do launches at Target again DO NOT GO THERE. I asked my Target ahead of time and they said they'd get at least one of each model. The day comes, and the shipment didn't get there til after 5pm (so they still didn't know what they were getting) and all they got was five white 32gb wifis. A few of the 25 people in line decided to take those even though it was only one guy's first choice, the rest of us went next door to best buy but it was too late there.

I wound up reserving one at best buy, which was the only store taking reservations for their next shipments. A week later I got my call and picked it up!

14. Gorion macrumors member

I will be ordering mine on Apple.com . I am lucky to have an Apple store near me, but I can wait for the online shipments to be delivered.

15. oli356 macrumors 6502

I think PC World sell them on launch day... will be in line to get mine as I've sold my iPad 1 already and want an iPad again ASAP.. Never waited in line for anything, don't know like how early to get to the Apple store etc..

16. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

If they go on sale at 5, I will be at the mall immediately at opening time ready to buy.

17. taipan61 macrumors 6502

well if it was like last years release i'll wait a few weeks just so i don't have to go back to the store a couple time just to get one that was worthy to keep...

sometimes being the first one is akin to being that first lemming...

just my .02

18. rainking thread starter macrumors regular

I was just at best buy earlier and was talking to the guy that works there and he said once it is announced that I could purchase it via gift card and that would secure me one. Anyone heard of this before?

19. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Yes I have heard this before, and yes there have been success stories. There is also stories where people don't get their iPad.

20. M87 macrumors 65816

Last year you had to go to a store to get one on launch day. It was a mess too! No one would say what or how many they were getting, but I lucked out and got exactly what I wanted. I really hope they do it online this year.

21. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Yep, the only way!

22. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

Where ordering online if available would be the best, most hassle free way of getting one, I for one am going to go to the Apple Store to get it. I am the type to enjoy waiting/camping for new releases. As Zcott said, make friends. One of my best friends to this day was someone I met in the original iPhone line. I was his bet man in December for his wedding. You never know! lol

I hope everyone gets the iPad they want on launch day though! Good luck to everyone in advance!