Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
I have some albums on my iPod that I want to rerip at a higher bitrate. So what's the best and fastest way to re-rip an already existing album on your ipod?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
The tracks on your iPod are already at a lower bitrate, so you can't use them to "re-rip" at a higher bitrate. That information is already gone.

You'll have to go back to the original CD and rip it from there at the desired bitrate.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Oh, sorry, I knew that.

What I meant is what is the best way to re-rip/replace an album on my iPod with the same album but at a higher bitrate.

In other words, should I delete/clear the album that is on there and then re-rerip or should I overwrite the album with a second rip at a higher bitrate? Is one way better then the other?

I could have swore there was a replace existing choice somewhere, but I can't seem to find it now.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Oops...sorry for misunderstanding your question.

iTunes won't automatically replace/overwrite your existing tracks with the new ones. I would probably delete each set of old tracks as I'm preparing to re-rip the new set. You can also wait until the end when you have two of every track in iTunes and then go to Edit --> Show Duplicate Songs. If you have the Bit Rate data column labeled, you'll be able to easily identify which songs are the old ones, and you can delete them then.

Is that better? :D

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When you start ripping a CD that's already in your iTunes Library, iTunes will ask you if you want to replace the existing tracks or keep them. If you choose replace the old files will be moved to trash but album art will be transferred to the new ones, and all play counts and rating will be preserved.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
When you start ripping a CD that's already in your iTunes Library, iTunes will ask you if you want to replace the existing tracks or keep them. If you choose replace the old files will be moved to trash but album art will be transferred to the new ones, and all play counts and rating will be preserved.

Really? I swear I've done that before and not seen anything like that...you learn something new every day...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
WildCowboy said:
Really? I swear I've done that before and not seen anything like that...you learn something new every day...
One thing is that all album info (artist name, track name, album name, etc) needs to be exact for this to work. If it's not a perfect match iTunes will just treat the new album as just that, a new album... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.