Best way to re-sync audio tracks in FCE4?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by senseless, Aug 1, 2010.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

FCE4 tends to lose the sound track sync, when capturing old VHS tapes. This seems to be an issue with the start/stops on the original tapes, which is confusing final cut.

What's the best method to re-sync the audio tracks to the video on the timeline? I'm having a hard time with this.

2. -DH macrumors 65816

Neither FCE nor FCP normally exhibit this behaviour. How are you capturing the analog VHS footage? What DV device are you using? Which capture settings are you using in FCE?

-DH

3. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

I've transferred home camera videos from my VHS deck to my Canon camcorder to archive on mini DV tapes. That is in sync. The problem arises when FCE captures from the DV tape. The first clip audio is usually ok, but goes about 1 second off at some future stop/start point.

I haven't tried passing through from VHS to FCE, but prefer not to redo all these tapes over again.

4. -DH macrumors 65816

DV has two audio sampling rates that FCE can work with: 48khz, 16 bit and 32khz, 12 bit. If your camcorder was set to one and FCE capture settings to the other, that would cause sync problems.

Check the clips you capture to see if they are 48 or 32 khz, then check the Sequence settings in FCE ... they need to match.

-DH

5. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Yes, the DV tape is 16bit (48khz) and the timeline is set for same (firewire basic 48K). I'm not getting a mismatched timeline setting, so this doesn't seem to be the issue.

FCE is dividing the captured tape up into clips that seem to be when the original deck was turned off and back on. Most clips are in sync, but some, at random, are not. These are early 80s camera and portable VHS deck recordings, if that means anything.

6. jcwnyc macrumors newbie