Best way to record fitness class?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by se99jmk, Apr 29, 2015.

1. se99jmk macrumors member

I've recently rejoined British Military Fitness, which does outdoor bodyweight exercise classes

What would be the best way to record these sessions? They involve short runs, sprints, and more stationary exercises such as sit ups, burpees, press ups etc with no 'distance'

In theory it would be using the Workout app, but 'Other' is only a brisk walk (and this exercise is a lot more than that!!)

I can't take my phone with me, so it has to be something which can be triggered on the Watch only..

2. Fwingonga macrumors member

I have been asking myself exactly the same question (in anticipation, as I doubt I'll get my Watch before mid-May!). Have been Googling this a bit as I do a range of fitness classes involving cardio, weights, body weight exercises, etc.
    From what I've read so far it looks as if the best option is "other". Hopefully other people will have some tips after trying it out. And maybe a future software update will include more activity choices...

3. daymouse macrumors regular

This is just a limitation of fitness bands/watches in general. I have the same issue with my fitbit charge HR. I start it as a general activity whether its running, circuits, etc then later in the app i can categorise the exercise but that’s just for organising myself.

What will help is the HR monitor! With this kind of exercise your HR should get pretty high and calculate the calories accordingly.

To be honest for this kind of exercise the best way to know doing well is by you simply being completely out of breathe ie unable to hold a conversation along with your muscles hurting the next day or two. :D

4. se99jmk thread starter macrumors member

At least if in the Gym or fitness class that stays roughly in one area you could have your phone nearby, which opens options for 3rd party apps

With no phone option, I think you'd be limited to Workout app (and 'Other' only)

Also when using 'Other' - it states that "any time sensor readings are unavailable" - what are these readings?

5. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I guess it depends on your goal with the recording but other is the correct choice at the moment it your workout does not fit the workouts already made available. What you're doing really is recording the time you spent and increasing the reading interval for heart rate. Normally the watch reads HR once every 10 minutes. During workout it reads it several times per minute. I want to say 6 times. It will also record the workout time in the health app so that later you can see what days you worked out and how much time you spent doing it with more precise heart rate measurements.

Not a prefect fit but close enough for now. I do a daily cardio workout and record it as other. I doubt there will be a perfect setting for a random workout routine like there is for a set activity like cycling, running or rowing since there is no repeating motion to it.

6. se99jmk thread starter macrumors member

'Workout > Other' seems to be the best option then and have it take into account heart rate to adjust for changes in the exercise

When using 'Other' - The Watch states that "any time sensor readings are unavailable" - what are these readings?

Noting in the user guide about it - what information would it be missing that is available to other Workout types?