Best way to reinstall Windows on bootcamp partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Shad0wDK, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Shad0wDK macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 15" Macbook Pro 2.8GHz from fall 2009 (and I'm still on Snow Leopard), and I currently have a bootcamp partition of 100GB with Windows Vista Business 32 bit installed.

I would like to make a fresh installation of Windows and get Windows 7 instead (32bit Professional, I only have a serial-key for that through my study, the 64 bit is used for my desktop computer).

However, I am not sure about the best method to do this, additionally, I'd like the partition to be a little larger - but if it's troublesome to do this I can skip it and stick with my 100GB partition, it's not a big deal I think.

I was thinking about two different ways to do it:

1. Delete the partition through the bootcamp assistant and start all over (also enabling me to make a larger partition). I have mixed feelings about this though, as I think it sounds a little risky to remove a partition like this without wiping the whole disk?

2. Insert the Windows dvd and boot from it, and then format the bootcamp partition and install Win 7, just as if I was on a PC.

I don't trust upgrading Vista to 7 without doing a fresh install either, so I am hoping that I can do something else without running into problems :)

It's important for me that I have a stable and good installation of Windows as I will be traveling for some months to study, so my only computer is my laptop - and I'm going to do some resource hungry stuff while in Windows.

I hope someone can advice me, thanks in advance :)

2. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

I have used bootcamp assistant to remove the Bootcamp partition, and then create a new larger bootcamp partition, and then reinstall. It was not a problem.

When you remove the partition, you just select create or remove a windows partition, and the next screen you select restore, and it extends the Mac OS X to the whole volume.

If you were wanting to change the size, and keep the same Windows OS, there are various clone tools that work well for that.

Michael

3. Shad0wDK thread starter macrumors newbie

You don't think my second option would work?

Also, did you defragment the drive after removing the bootcamp partition or anything?