Best way to remote control a PC from a MAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FreedomPirate01, Jul 21, 2011.

1. FreedomPirate01 macrumors newbie

FreedomPirate01

What is the best way for me to remotely access a PC in another house so i can change the wifi password on the airport extreme using my mac? thanks!

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

TeamViewer... perhaps?

The caveat is, it has to be running on both machines for it to work.

3. richardhirstuk macrumors newbie

Yep, I've used TeamViewer successfully. Definately recommend.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I use VNC. Like Teamviewer it requires something to be installed on both computers.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use gotomypc - not free what its what my company allows. I also like logmein which is free for personal use.

6. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

I've also had good success with GoToMyPC. Others at work have use Logmein, also with good success.

GoToMyPC allows me to see my twin 23" monitors at work on my 27" iMac at whatever magnification/scale you want. I can easily scroll back and forth between the two monitors.

To my knowledge, it doesn't allow you to remotely print from the PC to the Mac (the PC to PC version does), but you can print to pdf and email.

I also haven't figured out the mapping of the function keys between them, particularly with running Excel on the PC or using vba debugging tools, but haven't taken the time to call support either.

Hope this helps. I'll have a look at the other products mentioned as they may be less expensive than GoToMyPC, which was provided by work.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Best in what ways? There are a lot of options out there and you need to clarify what criteria you're using to narrow down the choices. Is the other house on the same WiFi network? Budget? Must have features?

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What's wrong with just connecting a mouse and keyboard to it?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How will that do what the OP asked?

11. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I missed the "another house" part. Oops!

12. desertman macrumors 6502a

I'm also using the free version of TeamViewer to remotely control other Macs and PC's. A really great application. Unfortunately quite expensive if you want to go "pro" which will be the case for me sooner or later.

Did anybody ever try ScreenConnect (http://www.screenconnect.com/)? This could be an alternative to TeamViewer at a much lower price.

What I'm really missing is a remote control software for iOS devices or at least screen sharing software (to see somebody's iPad on my Mac). Is something like this available at all?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Teamviewer has an iPhone/iPad app that can control a computer, but the reverse isn't available.

14. desertman macrumors 6502a

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

16. barbz41086 macrumors member

Ive been using 'screen sharing' in finder for my mac to mac stuff.

It works fine, but its a bit slow at times and scrambles the graphics a bit. Can anyone recommend better software for mac to mac?

17. desertman macrumors 6502a

Apple Remote Desktop ($80) or TeamViewer (free).