Best way to remotely access files.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dizz37, Feb 9, 2015.

1. dizz37 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm not quite new to mac, however, I am not a tech head so I'm seeking some assistance if possible.

I have an iMac that stays at my home office, a macbook that goes with me, ipad and iphone. Very quickly I worked out how easy it is to update a calendar on your phone and it is automatically synced on another device etc etc.

My question is, I am wondering what is the best way to work on multiple devices.

I am an architect, and would like to open files I worked on at home on my macbook and pick up from where I left off, without the need to save it onto an external hard drive or USB, or even email it to myself.

Is iCloud the simpliest way to do this? This will require that I have internet connection I'm sure, but I can handle that.

What role would a timemachine play. Will this play a similar role, or is this simply a way to back up your device?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

iCloud, Dropbox, OneDrive. All are good.

Timemachine is backup, not file sharing.

3. dizz37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Bluemoon. Would you recommend getting a time machine for that purpose anyways?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Yes, I use TimeMachine, iCloud & OneDrive.

iCloud is great for eMail and syncing between Apple products and apps.

OneDrive (15GB free or 25 possibly if you have an existing hotmail account) vs DropBox's 2GB free. They both support OS's outside of Apple.

DropBox is a little more polished than OneDrive but they both get the job done.

Timemachine is great backup tool. We use a networked Synology NAS for that.

5. doynton macrumors 6502

If you enable camera roll you get an extra 15GB free so 30GB free for new accounts, 45GB for old ones.

6. blueroom, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

edit: just looked it was already added on :)

7. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

What about Back to My Mac?

Yes, you should still use Time Machine to back up your Mac, as well as an off-site backup plan for the most critical of your files.

8. BlakeBrattina macrumors 6502a

I have been increasingly using DropBox - Not a new feature to most people but it's nice to be able to choose who you may want to share them with if not only for yourself across multiple devices, for instance my wife.

The said others are notable as well.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

To the OP I would suggest a Synology NAS the saving all your data on it. Then use the free VPN Server app to it and then use any device (including iDevices) to VPN anywhere where there is a connection.