Best Way to Resequence File Numbers?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by kramden88, Jan 29, 2014.

1. kramden88 macrumors member

As a teacher, I keep lesson plan materials according to the number of the school day. So I'll have 85a, 85b, 85c, 86a, 86b, etc. Suppose I need to shift everything by x numbers so I drop something new in (so everything 85 and after add five = 90a, 90b, 90c, etc.). What's the best way to do this? I can't figure out an easy Automator workflow, I don't know Apple Script, and Name Mangler doesn't handle giving multiple files the same index (I can't figure out their naming script). Any ideas?

2. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

3. kramden88 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, but File Buddy seems to only number sequentially, not based on the original numbering scheme.

4. needlnerdz macrumors regular

needlnerdz

You can probably accomplish this with Namechanger. Simple, donateware and super powerful tool:

http://www.mrrsoftware.com/MRRSoftware/NameChanger.html

First I'd press options and check 'hide extension' so you don't erase it, then select 'sequence' from dropdown, where you can start counting from a certain number = maybe you need to remove the first two digits.. then do another sequence? or if you can figure out the regEx for taking the input number and adding to it, it should be able to do that too.

Since you are also already at 85, I'd recommend using it to switch to 3 digit numbering [001, 085, 125], that way things for sure stay in order when listing them by name.