Best way to restore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FortWorthMac, Jan 3, 2012.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Hello, I still have teh orginal iPad, anxiously awaiting the next one. As such mine has gotten slow and it crashes a lot! Especially since upgrading to 5.x.

My question is, with the iCloud and all now, what's the best way to backup and restore? Should I restore to 5.01 and simply reload the apps I want or do a restore frm iCloud backup?

I'm getting irritated to the point I'm no enjoying it due to the crashes.

Thanks

2. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I was having similar problems prior to xmas with my iPad1 and found the following solution.
    Working like new again
    Update to iOS 5.0.1
    Reset the device (you loose some settings, but apps will still be installed) as advised by rick1972:

Here is what he did to my iPad 1 to make it usable again. He went to settings /general/reset/restore all settings and did a resore as new iPad. It didn't destroy any data, I just had to redo my network passwords and a couple of other minor app settings here and there.

When the iPad has restarted after the reset described above, do not use a backup from iCloud or iTunes, but install "as new". The apps will be there, but some settings (WLAN, GameCenter, etc) will need to configured again.

My iPad was unusable, but after the update and reset I can use it again.

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply. I guess my only other question is, what about data inside the apps? When the apps are reloaded, is the data pulled in from the cloud? For example, I have some PDF's, notes, word docs, etc, etc.

Thanks again,
    David

4. kevingaffney macrumors 6502a

I can only say my notes were intact. All apps were as previous. I was genuinely amazed at how simple this fix was. All email accounts as before. As article said only wifi passwords had to be re entered