Best way to restore??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Helo2050, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Helo2050 macrumors member

I am a former Acer user. On my old Acer notebook when I had to restore, it contained a partition. So all I had to do was drag and drop my important files to that little spot in the corner of the HD and everything ELSE would be erased, and my files would be safe when it was done. Do MBPs have this feature?

I don't have any other way to back my data up at the moment. Does anyone else have any tips I can use for redoing the OS without loosing my important data? Thanks.

2. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

3. celticpride678

Mac OS X comes with a feature called Time Machine. When you plug in a external hard drive into your computer (larger than its internal drive), it will ask you to setup it up as a Time Machine drive. After that, Time Machine will make periodic backups of your entire system.

Mac OS X Disk Utility comes with a partitioning option, however, I would never recommend partitioning a hard drive due to system and user file issues that have been reported in the past.

The easiest way is by using Time Machine.

4. Helo2050 thread starter macrumors member

5. celticpride678

Restore meaning reinstall the system? What OS are you currently running?

6. Helo2050 thread starter macrumors member

I am using OS X, and trying to reinstall it back on again. I do not have SL.

7. celticpride678

So Leopard? Using your Mac OS X Leopard Install DVD, launch the installer and select "Archive and Install" as your install method. This should preserve all user files, settings and applications. However, it will remove all system files and install new ones.

8. Helo2050 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thank you SOO much!! I will go try this now

9. celticpride678

Please post back with your results.