Best way to retain iTunes library after clean Snow Leopard install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nikos, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

I want to do a clean/fresh install of Snow Leopard tomorrow. I can deal with reinstalling apps, etc. but I really don't want to lose my iTunes library, mainly my play count. Crazy, I know, but hey lol.

What's the best way of doing a fresh install without losing it? File->Library->Back Up To Disk? Will simply saving my iTunes folder to an external, then copying it to the fresh install work?

Any and all help would be much appreciated!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Just keeping the iTunes Folder in ~/Music and moving it back afterward is enough.

Time Machine takes care of that manually of via Migration Assistant.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Time Machine? Yes, it'll work. Just copy your files to external

4. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Doesn't using Time Machine to restore a backup defeat the purpose of the format/clean install? Wouldn't it be the same to just update, or can you set Time Machine to only backup certain folders rather than the entire OS?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can restore certain folders or you can just migrate only your user account back.

Even if you're doing a full system backup you can choose what you want to restore. You can just skip the user migration and only restore the iTunes Music folder.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Before doing the clean install, just make sure the "iTunes" folder (in your Music folder) is backed up. Just grab the whole folder (which contains all your music and info for the Library).

Then, after the clean install, just put the iTunes folder back into your Music folder. Run any updates to the machine, and open iTunes. Everything will be right as you left it.

7. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thanks! I'm sure an upgrade would work fine but I will feel better mentally if I do a clean install. lol

I really appreciate the help :)

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do clean installations and migrate my user back. I don't see any ill from user accounts.

Same thing on the Windows side.

9. Nikos thread starter macrumors 68000

Nikos

Thank you, I really appreciate the help :)

10. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I just copy the folders I want to keep to my external .. then after I do an erase and install I copy them back .... you won't lose any info in your iTunes that way.

11. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

1: am i right in saying if you restore a user account, you restore all the crap that comes with it?

2: can you restore mail accounts? I have 5 of them in my mail app

scary stuff, never done this before! thank you!

12. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

You can always do an upgrade, see how things run, then if your satisfied... fine. If not you can just do a clean install like normal.

snverhallen

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes

Yes
    Go to your backup and navigate to ~/Library folder there should be a folder or two for mail also be sure to copy back the preferences as well

14. LevMac macrumors 6502

LevMac

Im also thinking of doing an erase and install for Snow Leopard....

After the erase and install, I currently have a time machine backup to my time capsule, when setting up snow leopard it will ask to transfer information via time machine, will this mess up any user account's/names ?

Providing I do the time machine restore during the setup utility it should all flow through fine hopefully ?

15. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I understand for your music in iTunes, you backup the /music folder. But is there a way to backup everything? Like iPhone apps and ringtones and everything else? Even your settings? Something like being able to export everything to a backup file, the import everything later would be nice.

16. jakk2809 macrumors member

If you just backup your /Music/iTunes folder, everything should be backed up. Maybe not the preferences but your music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, ringtones, apps etc is all in the iTunes folder. Once you do a clean install, run Software Update (just in case) and put the iTunes folder back in your Music folder. When you start iTunes, it should automatically look in that folder and restore your library.

17. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I have the music folder on my TC, I just did a clean install, now I point iTunes to that music folder and nothing happens. I try to sync my iPhone, and it tells me everything on the phone will be replaced. I would like to be able to keep my music and podcasts, but especially my apps. Is there anything I can do? I was told to point itunes to a library file, but that is not in the music folder on my TC.

18. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

just copy/past the itunes folder from music folder in home folder lol

19. CIA macrumors 6502a

Note that after your clean install, copy everything back into your music folder before you launch iTunes for the first time, makes life a little easier when you don't have scary overwrite messages.

20. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Well, I copied the itunes folder from my old hdd to my new ssd and everything is back to the way it was. But, it seems like a lot of stuff was on my hdd that I wanted on my TC. How do I keep everything in iTunes in my TC? The library file, the apps, musuc, everything? It seems like the media files were there, but the library file and the apps were still on my mac, not the TC.