best way to retrieve itunes after clean SL install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mr5150, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Mr5150 macrumors newbie

I just did a clean SL install. I have a full TM backup. What's the best way to get itunes to see the music? I tried copying music folder back but itunes doesn't see it. I guess it's an index file or something that's not right. Do I have to reimport the music? Thanks...

2. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I just copied the iTunes folder to it's place and everything just worked.

It doesn't work when you do that?

3. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Inside your Music folder is a folder called iTunes. This has a few files which are where your computer stores the iTunes info. If you did a fresh install, you may need to correct the ownership of the files by opening the Get Info box on the Music Folder, adding yourself to the Sharing & Permissions section (if you aren't already there) with Read & Write permissions, and choosing "Apply to enclosed items" from the Options drop-down (Gear icon).

4. Mr5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

This makes sense. I think I messed up when I changed my user name on the clean install. I'll try this when I get off work. This is my first Mac, so this is new to me. Also, the hierarchy of the TM folders is a little confusing. I can only find the itunes music in the earliest back up folder. That makes since. But I can't find an album I purchased recently in any of the folders, even of the more recent backups. I have not checked every folder of every backup. I'll try more when I get off work.

Thanks.

5. Mr5150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Permissions were already set. NOt sure what to do next. Any ideas?

6. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Even if the permissions are correct you should Apply to Enclosed Items.

You mentioned the Time Machine hierarchy being difficult... it's not really meant for you to dig through directly... only updated files are stored in any particular directory, with the oldest being the "original" image (depending on if Time Machine has run out of space because it will start merging the oldest backups to save space).