Best Way to Rip DVD then Upload To ipod?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willpowerx89, Nov 27, 2007.

1. willpowerx89 macrumors newbie

willpowerx89

does anyone know the best/fastest way to do this? I have a macbook pro with leopard and want to rip some DVDs then put them on my ipod video. i downloaded "mac the ripper" software but once that is finished, how do i format the material for my ipod?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

As a slight addendum to that excellent FAQ, there's also a light version of Handbrake called "Instant Handbrake". I originally read about it last May on TUAW, and I'm not entirely clear on if that version still exists for the current version of Handbrake, but if it does, it makes converting video even easier and more idiot-proof than Handbrake already is.

3. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Handbrake without a doubt is the best app for this kind of task. Just don't post any newbie questions on their forum, the mods and admins over there are quite intolerant.

4. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

One caveat about the FAQ on this site - where it says to use the "Normal" tab in Handbrake - that will not work for the new iPod Classic models. You have to use one of the two "iPod..." tabs. I spent hours fighting this, until I found a similar FAQ on the iLounge web site.

I do not know if the FAQ on this site is indeed correct for the 5G video iPods or not.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

If you have any new info, please register for the guides; they're wikis after all, and make some changes. The community will thank you for it. :)

6. willpowerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

willpowerx89

Help With "Mac the Ripper" & "Handbreak"

i downloaded Mac the ripper, ripped "transformers," then converted it with Hand-break (Mpeg4 format). it plays on my Itunes but wont go onto my Ipod because my ipod "does not support this format." doesn't though ipod supported mpeg4?

7. willpowerx89 thread starter macrumors newbie

willpowerx89

8. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

If you're only ripping it to go onto your iPod you really don't need to use MTR. As far as it going on your iPod did you rip it in Handbrake and choose "iPod High Rez" format (see pic)?

Attached Files:

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

What resolution did you set it to?

A limitation is that horizontal and vertical resolutions must be divisible by 16 and make up a maximum of 1200 16x16 macroblocks, at a max bit rate of 2500 kbps. So 640x480 will work, as will 720x416. Edit: and yes, using Handbrake's built in iPod settings will make sure it works.

Edit 2: According to the handbrake forums, the macroblock limitation doesn't apply any more. I'm pretty sure it did earlier this year. I need to check this when I have the time.

10. giyad macrumors regular

there already is a thread on this... use the search function first please.

MTR to rip it is more powerful, then handbrake to convert it so that it can play on ipod.

If you want pay software, video converter is a very good application.