best way to run dos games on my imac G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kaitlin4599, Sep 26, 2016.

1. kaitlin4599 macrumors newbie

ok so i have the imac G4 sunflower pc and i have a few dos games i want to run that dont play well with my linux pc whats the best way to run them i have say 4 dos games i wanna run

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If you're running Leopard, you can download Boxer here: https://github.com/downloads/alunbestor/Boxer/boxer-1.3.2-20120713.1.zip

This is a great app for running DOS games. Really, really great app. Just drag the DOS folder into Boxer and it will install it for you. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be compatible on Tiger or earlier, so I'm not sure what to suggest if you're on 10.4 or earlier.

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

What are the specs of your Linux PC? I can't imagine any situation where a G4 would run DOS games better than any native x86 system, even running Linux.

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It's worth mentioning at least for a lot of major titles, there is a Mac version available. In fact, there were some games where I think the Mac version predated the Dos version(Oregon Trail comes to mind).

Getting the native Mac version really is the best of all worlds.

With that said, I've had great luck with Dosbox for a lot of the old shareware/freeware games that I use to love playing. You could also run Win2K in VPC, which lets you cover a bunch of both DOS and Windows games.

6. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Try DOSBox, it should play any of your DOS games, also here is a hint: DOSBox also runs on Linux(x86 and PPC and pretty much everything else too).
    Actually DOSBox on your Linux PC should be faster than DOSBox on any PPC Mac, because it does not have to do as much work to emulate the CPU.

7. dandeco macrumors regular

I'm gonna have to go with keysofanxiety, Boxer is a great app. I use it for my Let's Play videos of old DOS games from my childhood...