best way to run office on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rockerdude1, Jan 13, 2009.

1. rockerdude1 macrumors newbie

i just got my first mac and need to run word and powerpoint on my computer, is it more efficient to partition the harddrive and run it that way or can i run it side by side with my mac programs?

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

I've never heard of anyone making an office partition... ever, but you can easily run office side by side with your other mac applications

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Either Office '08 for Mac, run it via Crossover or in a VM like VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you trying to run Office:Mac or Office for Windows? If you're trying to run Office for Windows, the big advantage of a Windows partition (rather than an image file for the Windows drive) is that the partition can be used both by Bootcamp and by the virtualization program (Parallels or whatever). This can be useful if you want to do something intensive in Windows, like play a Windows game.

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Microsoft do make a Mac version of Office you know. It's not the best, but it's not terrible and is good for general users.

If you want to run the Windows version of Office then you need to buy a copy of Windows to install on the Mac.

If you don't want to buy anything then give NeoOffice a try. It's a free and open source alternative to Office and is compatible with most Office documents.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Pages and Keynote are also compatible with Word and Powerpoint, you know. Depending on what you're doing, sometimes "compatible with" just isn't enough.

7. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

The 2008 Office for Mac version is pretty good. No reason to run virtually, in its own drive space, or etc. Just buy the home and student version for $100. Or, you can find the Special Media Edition on sale for $129 sometimes. I find it's a lot less expensive than buying it to run on Windows, too. Only thing is if you need Access... not included in Mac version.

8. rockerdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

im still in high school so i just need a program for general reports and stuff

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well if you like free, then i really would reccoomend my post as it will suffice for your needs easily

why spend 80 or 100ish when you dont have to?

10. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Spend the money and buy Microsoft's Office for Mac. A much better, rock solid, no BS, industry standard, business and professional standard, software. Really nice software and no major "bugs" unlike open source projects.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

for a high school student typing general reports that most likely could find a better use of 150 than on a software suite:cool:

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There are a number of threads here discussing issues with 2008 for the Mac

Personally... I have found 2007 for Windows to be a much better product
    Even 2004 for the Mac is a better solution in my opinion

If the OP just needs general reports and stuff as stated... Pages is the way to go on the Mac

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

13. obdave macrumors member

Also, you can usually find copies of Office with unused license key(s) on Craigslist. I bought both Office 2004 and 2008 that way. I think I paid about $40 for each of them.