Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
I have tried the Mac version of Quicken and wasn't impressed. I want to get rid of my Windows desktop but I need to figure out how I am going to run Quicken for Windows 7.

The only other programs that I MIGHT run from Windows would be Word or Excel. I will not be running anything else and it really bothers me that I have to run Windows for one program.

I am currently backing up everything with Time Machine and Time Capsule and it would be very important that Quicken data be backed up also. I am thinking of adding a HDD in place of the Superdrive so that I can do a Time Machine/Time Capsule backup from the SSD and a CCC clone from the SSD to the HDD. Would this also backup the Quicken and Windows 7 data.

So, what would be my best option and why, Parrallels 7, Vmware 4, or Bootcamp.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Running windows in a virtual environment. I use VMware's Fusion, but there's also Parallels. There's also VirtualBox which is free but has less features then Fusion or Parallels

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
For word or excel, as stated above use VMWare Fusion or Parallel.
I mainly use VMWare and satisfied.

You can set how man processors, RAM, etc being used in virtual machine as well.

However, if you ever run CPU intensive apps, always use bootcamp.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
What are the Pro's and Con's to Fusion, Parallels and VirtualBox. I see a bundle is being offered for $40 that includes Paralles and a bunch of others.

Would the Quicken data be backup through Time Machine and Time Capsule?

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
The only con is that they are CPU and RAM hoggers.
They are both CPu intensive and eat a lot of RAM.

Have at least 8GB of RAM and dual core i5 and up.

OSX lags a bit when using VMWare due to the intensity even with a quad core CPU.

mstgkillr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 11, 2012
The only con is that they are CPU and RAM hoggers.
They are both CPu intensive and eat a lot of RAM.

Have at least 8GB of RAM and dual core i5 and up.

OSX lags a bit when using VMWare due to the intensity even with a quad core CPU.

I have a 2.4GHz i7 with 16GB RAM...

When you mean CPU intensive, I assume it's only when VMWare is open and running, I hope.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What are the Pro's and Con's to Fusion, Parallels and VirtualBox.
Personal preference.

Parallels is probably a little better with direct-x support so games are a bit better.

Vmware is generally a bit more stable, and has superior support

VB is no real support AFAIK, other then user supplied support and has less features then its commercial counterparts.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
You might want to also consider WineBottler. I ran across at least one Google hit on it and Quicken but didn't really dig into the matter.

I will not be running anything else and it really bothers me that I have to run Windows for one program.
Technically you're still running Windows but Parallels does offer coherence. Can't speak to the other options as I haven't used them.
http://kb.parallels.com/4670

When you mean CPU intensive, I assume it's only when VMWare is open and running, I hope.
Precisely. It can't tie up the CPU if it isn't running.

yusukeaoki

macrumors 68030
Mar 22, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
I have a 2.4GHz i7 with 16GB RAM...

I have couple apps open as well but its not that heavy.
My VMware eats all of my CPU and RAM so my OSX lags when I like try to drag files under OSX.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
What are the Pro's and Con's to Fusion, Parallels and VirtualBox. I see a bundle is being offered for $40 that includes Paralles and a bunch of others.

Would the Quicken data be backup through Time Machine and Time Capsule?

That's probably your best bet. Get parallels through that offer and use that. You can store your Quicken files outside of the VM in a folder on your Mac. Parallels allows you to share your Mac folders with your VM (so your Mac shows up in Network neighborhood), and just open the quicken file that way. This will allow you to have Time Machine backup your quicken file.

You COULD also use Time Machine to backup your VM, but I wouldn't recommend it. Since the VM is one giant file, any small changes can cause the whole file to need to get backed up. Just copy the VM to your Time Capsule every few months for a backup.

Your machine will run Parallels just fine. Don't worry too much about the pros and cons of Parallels or VM Ware Fusion. They will both run fine. Just get which every one is cheapest.

After you get all this setup and working, then you can do what I did: Dump Quicken. I switched to using Mint.com to track, and do online bill pay through my Bank website. Much happier this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.