Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
I tried boot camp before but that didn't work so now I would like to run Windows on my MBA which I have Sierra installed. Should I use parallels or what?

thanks for the help.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I used Fusion for years and it works well. Many years ago I started out using Parallels, and wasn't happy. But I suspects it's gotten much better over time.

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
VirtualBox is weak but Fusion and Parallels both work OK.

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
thanks everyone. What's the best windows to use? I last used win 7. is everything 64 bit now or what?

dwig

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2015
Key West FL
thanks everyone. What's the best windows to use? I last used win 7. is everything 64 bit now or what?

IMHO, Win10 is the best Windows to use. There is a "Home" and a "Pro" version. Most users will never notice the difference, but there are more Administrator utilities and controls in the Pro version along with more network configuration options.

Also, Microsoft still supports 32bit environments, though if your hardware and VM support it you should use the 64bit version.

kschendel

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2014
Subjectively, Windows 7 performance inside VirtualBox doesn't seem as good as VMware. I never tried Parallels. It's not a huge difference, and I spend as little time in Windows as I can get away with, so I wouldn't treat this as a definitive report...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I used Fusion for years and it works well. Many years ago I started out using Parallels, and wasn't happy. But I suspects it's gotten much better over time.

+1 yep...

same here... Virtual box is also good. My windows usage doesn't really make much of a dent.

Last edited:

xtempo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 2, 2014
Has anyone run DVD Profiler in windows in the different Fusion, Parallels or Virtual box?

dvvdv

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2017
smoker's lounge
I've tried both VMware and Parallels 13 on macOS Sierra, and I have to say, Parallels is the better app. Its easier to use and has a cleaner interface. Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux are running fine on my MacBook.

shadedred

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
I've tried both VMware and Parallels 13 on macOS Sierra, and I have to say, Parallels is the better app. Its easier to use and has a cleaner interface. Both Windows 7 and Ubuntu Linux are running fine on my MacBook.

I second this, I have both Fusion 8.5 and Parallels 13; Parallels wins in the performance category. If you're looking for best performance, I would run Windows off an SSD, I have Windows 10 running on an external SSD that I use as an alternative to Boot Camp, can't afford to lose the storage space, and it works without issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.