Best way to run Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gustavobrust, Feb 19, 2011.

1. gustavobrust macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I just bought an iMac i7 27', and I plan to play some games on it on Windows.

I realize the best way to run Windows for games is bootcamp, right?

But, sometimes, while on OSX, I would need to access that exact same Windows, save changes, and when booting on Windows again, have all the stuff there. So I can't use a Virtual Disk with VMWare, right?

What is the best virtualization app that enables me to run and modify the real Windows partition from inside the OSX?

Thank you all in advance!

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

VMWare fusion will allow you to virtualise your bootcamp partition, not sure if parallels can do this.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You can install Windows via Bootcamp and boot natively for games

You can access your Bootcamp install of Windows with Parallels or Fusion and run that same install virtually whenever you want

4. celticpride678

For games, your best bet is to go with Boot Camp. If the file can be read by Mac OS X, you can open it and modify it. Then, the changes are accessible via Windows.

5. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Question: would gaming be the only reason to install Windows? I asked in the stickied thread up top and got no answer. Thx!

6. gustavobrust thread starter macrumors newbie

Parallels or Fusion?

Thanks guys!

I've seen a video of a guy on his iMac creating the virtual Machine on VMWare, using a Windows partition (installed with bootcamp) and as far as I can remember VMWare asks "Where to put the files of the virtual disk?". What are those files for anyway, if VmWare is going to use the partition directly to save data?

Another question: what do you recommend? Parallels or VmWare Fusion? It's about the same price, so any inputs on this would be very appreciated. :rolleyes:

7. gustavobrust thread starter macrumors newbie

Gaming

For me, yes.

There are, of course, windows-only apps that I may use eventually, but 99% of the use will be for games. :apple:

8. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Sweet, thanks :) I think I'll hold off on installing Windows until I need it, which hopefully won't be anytime soon

9. flipster macrumors 6502a

Bootcamp would be best for gaming. If you want, download the latest drivers for windows before you start gaming. You'll see a great improvement in fps with those updated drivers :)

10. chris98vf macrumors regular

chris98vf

if you're going to do some gaming check out Steam for OS X. If you have already purchased the game for Windows and there's an OS X version you don't have to buy it again. Worth checking out...
    http://www.steampowered.com

11. gustavobrust thread starter macrumors newbie

Nice! I was not aware of that! There are some good games like Civilization and Football Manager, among others!

Hope one day all the games release simultaneously for PC and MAC. :apple:

Thanks for the advice! ;)

12. Baby Mac macrumors regular

Baby Mac

I have heard that because parallels and fusion run the Windows inside OSX, you are taxing your system with two OS's. You may get better performance in Boot Camp.

13. SidBala macrumors 6502a

I run Windows 7 exclusively on my MBP through boot camp. It is the best way to run windows.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

No, there's lots of software that only runs on windows, or runs much better in windows. It's an OS with much more software and hardware support so you're going to find lots of things to do. Windows also includes paint, which is priceless :D