Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California
Just wondering what the best way is to save all my photos, events, tags, modified and originals etc. to an external hard drive and then reload it to another iPhoto exactly the way it was.

Also same for iTunes if possible. How to save ratings, playlists, play count etc.

Thanks!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
This is actually really easy. Both iPhoto and iTunes store their libraries and databases in a compact, easily transported format.

In the case of iPhoto, all you need to do is find the iPhoto Library file (which is really a folder), which is by default located in your Pictures folder, copy it to the external, then to the Pictures folder in the other place.

iTunes is a little more complicated. First of all, do you use iTunes's default library management settings (copy files to iTunes Library folder and keep iTunes Library organized)? If you do, your task is FAR easier. In this case all you need to do is copy the entire iTunes folder inside your Music folder to the external, then copy it from the external to the same place on the destination.

If you don't have it set up this way, I strongly recommend setting it up like this, since it makes moving/copying the library much simpler.

cmF

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2008
California
Great, the iPhoto suggestion really helped. I always wondered what that icon in the pictures folder meant. But how do I transfer over iTunes playlists and such? Copying the iTunes music folder will only transfer the raw files won't it?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You may want to get familiar with the Help function of programs you run. It comes in quite handy for basic questions.

Attachments

• Picture 12.jpg
    Picture 12.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 657
  • Picture 13.jpg
    Picture 13.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 495

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Great, the iPhoto suggestion really helped. I always wondered what that icon in the pictures folder meant. But how do I transfer over iTunes playlists and such? Copying the iTunes music folder will only transfer the raw files won't it?

Copying the entire iTunes folder from the music folder should do the trick. Although, I'm not sure that there is any way to keep the play counts.

arduoustask

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
To WrldWzrd89

What do you mean by "then to the Pictures folder in the other place." I copied the folder to my passport and i would like to delete from internal hard drive due to lack of space. How would you suggest deleting all of the folders as well in the iphoto library? Thanks

mysterytramp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Maryland
It's a bit more complicated, but still very easy. This says how for iPhoto. And this says how for iTunes.

I've done both and I believe it preserves everything, however I wasn't paying attention to playcounts.

mt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.