Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rascalz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Hi there,

I have a couple important documents folder which contains word/excel/PDF and usually temporary photos files that I would like to access and edit on my desktop and laptop seamlessly and on the go.

I may start editing a excel document while on the train on my laptop, which I can save and continue editing when I get home on my desktop. The folder should sync both ways.

Then I would also like these folders/documents to be automatically backed up to an internal and external HD automatically/periodically throughout the day. These should probably just be a one way backup.

Whats the best way I can go about doing this? :) Thanks

rascalz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Ok yes iCloud Drive makes sense although theres a limit on the drive size but it would be nice if there wasn't a limit as I'm just sharing files between my own Macs, but yes makes sense. Is there anyway to share a folder in documents to the iCloud Drive or does it all have to be in the iCloud drove folder?

ARQ looks interesting. Got the trial so I will have a play with it thanks.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
I use Dropbox and an app called "MacDropAny" to share folders, most used is my Documents folder which is kept instantly updated across 4 or 5 of my devices.
Also of note that MacDropAny works with several other well known cloud services and is free.

flaubert

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2015
Portland, Oregon
There is also Resilio Sync (nee BTSync), which uses the bittorrent protocol to keep folders on different machines synchronized. They have a free level of service, and a paid level of service. See details here:

https://www.resilio.com/individuals/

As far as backup goes, Resilio only ensures that the folders in question are kept in synchronization (without using any cloud storage space whatsoever - the only storage in play is that of the computers involved). However, you presumably have a backup workflow running on at least one of your computers, and so the designated folder that is being synchronized will be backed up as a matter of course - your backup solution wouldn't know or care that the folder is also being synchronized to another computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.